Breeding a 2 Year Old Doe Who Hasn’t Had Kits Yet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopsAreGreat

Reaction score
Hello there! I recently got a new Mini Lop doe. She will be an improvement to our program. But, she’s 2 years old. I’ve never bred a doe who’s never had kits THIS old before. I will be breeding her next month. Do you think that there will likely be more complications? Such as kits DOA, or she doesn’t even take to the breeding, or only has one or two kits, or has no desire to care for her kits? Anyone have experience on this? Any advice helps, thank you!

I've bred a few older does. There's a lower fertility rate; especially if the owner had allowed fat to buildup. Internal fat severely hurts fertility in them. If you get living kits born out of her, I've not had any problems with the older does caring for their litters. But the lower success rate and potentially smaller litter size can make things difficult.

I bred my two year old doe this year. 3 of 10 babies passed away. So there is definatly loss sometimes.

Latest posts

Back