Breeders: Do you have a website?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I may have asked this before but I don't remember. But I thought I'd start a discussion about websites for a minute and find out somethings...

Do you have a website?

Is it on a free site or do you pay for it?

Does it bring you a lot of customers?

Do you sell mainly to breeders/show rabbit owners or people who want pets?

Do you take credit cards - and if so - do you find it helps you get sales?

Do you take paypal?

How often do you update your site?

I have a website and like it but am trying to figure out what I want to change if anything!

Peg

PLEASE NOTE: RO's current advertising policy saysbreederscannotpost links to our rabbitries without prior approval, seeing as the RO magazine offers paid listings. (They can, however, be listed in our profiles). Thanks for understanding!

TinysMom wrote:
I may have asked this before but I don't remember. But I thought I'd start a discussion about websites for a minute and find out somethings...

Do you have a website? Yes
Is it on a free site or do you pay for it?Geocities $5 per month automatically withdrawn from my checking account.

Does it bring you a lot of customers? We no longer sell many rabbits, so I use my site for educational purposes. I do get a lot of hits on my site.

Do you sell mainly to breeders/show rabbit owners or people who want pets? The limited number of rabbits we sell are for breeding stock.

Do you take credit cards - and if so - do you find it helps you get sales? No

Do you take paypal? Yes

How often do you update your site? Occasionally

PLEASE NOTE: WE CAN'T LIST OUR WEBSITES ON THE FORUM (ADVERTISING) BUT WE CAN PUT THEM IN OUR PROFILES!I can understand a rule against promoting other forums, howeverI wasn't aware of the rule that websites can't be listed. I primarily use mine for educational purposes and often list it in my posts (unaware that I was violating the rule). However I am concerned that this would also include referring people to a website with information on a show (this would be considered the show's "advertising page") as well as this rule preventing us from referring anyone looking for a particular product to a company's site. Many sites with veterinary info are actually on the vet's sites (another form of info).Also, many of the references posted by myself and others are in some way advertising (as many are written by breeders).I know many sites do not allow sale posts, but most allow websites to be listed in their signatures.

pamnock wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Do you have a website? Yes
Is it on a free site or do you pay for it?Geocities $5 per month automatically withdrawn from my checking account.

Does it bring you a lot of customers? We no longer sell many rabbits, so I use my site for educational purposes. I do get a lot of hits on my site.

Do you sell mainly to breeders/show rabbit owners or people who want pets? The limited number of rabbits we sell are for breeding stock.

Do you take credit cards - and if so - do you find it helps you get sales? No

Do you take paypal? Yes

How often do you update your site? Occasionally

PLEASE NOTE: WE CAN'T LIST OUR WEBSITES ON THE FORUM (ADVERTISING) BUT WE CAN PUT THEM IN OUR PROFILES!I can understand a rule against promoting other forums, howeverI wasn't aware of the rule that websites can't be listed. I primarily use mine for educational purposes and often list it in my posts (unaware that I was violating the rule). However I am concerned that this would also include referring people to a website with information on a show (this would be considered the show's "advertising page") as well as this rule preventing us from referring anyone looking for a particular product to a company's site. Many sites with veterinary info are actually on the vet's sites (another form of info).Also, many of the references posted by myself and others are in some way advertising (as many are written by breeders).I know many sites do not allow sale posts, but most allow websites to be listed in their signatures.

I have a website and like it but am trying to figure out what I want to change if anything!

Peg
Pam- you're probably not violating the rules - let me check into it. I just didn't want to see folks saying, "Here's my sale page!" and only listing bunnies...I hope that makes sense...but I really do need to check into this for clarification!!! I could've misunderstood the rules...

The advertising policy below was written with the expectations that the Breeders section of the Resource Center would be open, which hasn't happened yet (still a few wrinkles to iron out),so its a bit confusing! The bottom line is that anumber of breedershave paid to be listed in the RO magazine, so its not fair to them to allowother breeders tolist their commercial rabbitry sites in the forum for free.

However, a) Pam Nock would be a shoo-in under thepre-approved category, and b) with all she's given this forum,she qualifies for a free listing in the RO Magazine directory as well!

Any other rabbitrysites providing educational information not readily available from the other sites we already have linked wouldalso be welcome (with priorapproval).

Hopefully in the near future, everybody willbe invited to list theirrabbitry informationin the Resource Center as long as they use their screenname asthe contact.

As for referrals to other websites, they are usually acceptable as long as its in the spirit of being helpful to rabbits and/or their owners, and the person doing the referring isn't an agent of theshow, product or site being referred. If it is determined to be competitive,thepost can always bemoved or edited without becoming an 'issue' (unless prior requests have been ignored and/or itcounts as spam).Nobody's being very officious about it. ;)

Hope that clarifies the policy! (We'll be editing Peg's 'no ads' line).

Advertising Policy

The Rabbit Only magazine survives through advertising revenue, so we ask that members refrain from promoting or linking to other websites that may be construed as 'competitive'.

While we don't mind members listing their personal websites (and pre-approved general sites) in their profiles, please refrain from doing so in posts.

We are giving Breeders the opportunity to list their rabbitries using their RO screen names as their contact information, but again we ask that users do not post their rabbitry website links in their threads.We are currently allowing those links in the member profiles, a policy that will be up for review in the future.
Breeders can be listed in the Rabbits Only magazine directory, and post expanded information in the Rabbits Only Forums which will appear at the top of the lists in bolded type for a small fee.

Please PM Rabbits, and put 'Advertising Query' in the subject.

Thank you for your cooperation.

this thread is a questionaire for rabbitry sites, if you have a personal site or a favorite site (or a rabbitry site for that matter), feel free to post it in your profile. :)

I have a website. Which right now I think is mainly for my own purposes! =) I am new to breeding and have yet to have any for sale so can't really be helpful in that case.

I can tell you from the buyer's side what had appealed to me as the buyer, besides the obvious quality of stock. ;)I LOVE Paypal! Makes the transaction go alot easier and I plan to use it in the future for my site. Credit cards? I honestly don't think I will ever use this option as too many problems could arrise. I do plan to sell pets on occasion. I totally love my "petstore" mixes but didn't love all the vet visits in the beginning or the handfull that we lost due to almost imediate illnesses. I have "pet" purebreds also and they are by far more healthy.

I am always looking for things to update on my website! I am an update junkie! LOL!

Thank you for the clarifications on posting websites. I was afraid I had inadvertently overstepped the bounds by promoting my "Coat Colors of the Domestic Rabbit" link on my site.

I do generally include my website in my posts because it also contains my "Rabbit Quizzes" and showmanship guidelineswhich are popular with 4-H youth for studying. I've put many hours into my study material and would like to share it with as many people as possible.

It's not something I profit from, just a helpful resource for studying. We don't have rabbits for sale very often, and there is currently no sale page on my site.

I appreciate the offer for a free RO listing, however I don't want any personal gain for doing something that I enjoy :)

"Any other sites providing educational information not readily available from the other sites we already have linked wouldalso be welcome (with priorapproval)."

I think pre-approval for educational links should be reconsidered as it borders on censorship. I freqently post references used for my information and it would become tedious to ask for permission each time, or to have to go back to the extensive ROlist each time to check if that linkis already an approved listed resource.

I enjoy clicking on the website links in posts and checking out breeder sites -- I hope RO reconsiders the links, but I can certainly understand banning obvious sale plugs.

Pam

Pam,

I personally have your site bookmarked. It is very informative and helpful.

I have to agree with you though. I think it is a very good idea not to allow "advertising" in a way of rabbits for sale and such, but to have to gain permission for each link that is too a website just might cut down on helpful information out there. There are many website full of info and help to fully understand a problem or question one has asked. I look forward to answers with links to complete an answer. But the need to get each approved just might cut down on that a great deal.

pamnock wrote:
"Any other sites providing educational information not readily available from the other sites we already have linked wouldalso be welcome (with priorapproval)."

I think pre-approval for educational links should be reconsidered as it borders on censorship. I freqently post references used for my information and it would become tedious to ask for permission each time, or to have to go back to the extensive ROlist each time to check if that linkis already an approved listed resource.

Sorry, this has been edited to read 'rabbitry' websites.Websites designed for educationalpurposes orare otherwise dedicated toprovidingassistance for rabbits and their owners do not constitute 'advertising'. The issue being addressed in this thread was about breeders listing their rabbitries.Many rabbitry sites provide article reproductions and links to educational and other helpfulsites as a sideline, and they would need prior approval just to ensure the information is unique and not just a way of getting around the rules. :)

And as previously stated, we're not very officious about the whole thing, this forum has very few rules (or at least rules that don't involve causing discomfortto other members). Our moderators are hosts, not enforcers! :cop

This one is simply to protect the exclusivity of RO Magazine's paid listings and put a lid on potentialspammers!

We should add that the other issue is providing links togeneral rabbit websites viewed as 'competitive' to Rabbits Only, which is also something RO asks its members not to do. However, providing a link to agood commercial site that sells feed, toys, cages, etc,isacceptable, seeing as RO does notcurrently have a web store.

Sorry for the confusion!

RO Staff

Sounds good! :)

I apologize for the misunderstanding that there were new rules in effect which would greatly reduce our freedom to share information.

Bottom line -Don't use this forum to promote other forums without a paid adand don't use this forum as abusiness advertising venue without paying to advertise!

Pam

Yes I have a website
It's free from zoomshare - very easy to navigate - no stupid banners
Yes it brings in customers - breeding, show and pets
No credit cards - no paypal:(
I update it every couple of days or once a month...just whenever I need to

Do you have a website? Yes my link is in my profile

Is it on a free site or do you pay for it? Originally it was free but I was getting so much traffic that I pay for more bandwidth.I can't remember how much but its cheap! I plan on getting a domain name soon.

Does it bring you a lot of customers? Yes it brings ALOT of customers

Do you sell mainly to breeders/show rabbit owners or people who want pets? My site is geared towards breeders but I do sell pets from my site.

Do you take credit cards - and if so - do you find it helps you get sales? I take CC via PayPal. It helps to be able to take deposits that way. Also PayPal is so popular alot of people prefer it as they hve money in their account (I know I do!)

Do you take paypal? See above

How often do you update your site? I update just about daily!

So you cant post forums either? That could possibly be just like this one?

I hAD a website

Free with Tripod

Dont take credit or paypal

Sold to breeders and petowners

Updates all the time, but mostly nothing to update!!

No website anymroe :( I dont breed or sell!!

bunnylover78642 wrote:
So you cant post forums either? That could possibly be just like this one?
Yes, that has always been the policy. This forum costs money for its bandwith, etc and posting another forum on here would be like running a Pepsi ad on a Coke website....

I hope that makes sense!

Peg

Yeah it makes sense. Just seems weird because other forums would have let people post up what ever links they would want... But I respect the rules and wont argue ok... So I swear just ignore me!!

TinysMom wrote:
Do you have a website?Yes.
Is it on a free site or do you pay for it? I used to have a free one, but was using too much bandwidth (lots of traffic) so I bought my own domain. It's relatively inexpensive (I know I can find one cheaper), but for the amount of space they offer for the price, It's well worth it.
Does it bring you a lot of customers? Yes, I tend to get a lot of traffic - lots are repeated visitors.
Do you sell mainly to breeders/show rabbit owners or people who want pets? Like Berlena, I'm geared towards other breeders & exhibitors... however I do sell an occasional pet (most pet customers are impulse buyers & don't want to wait my 4wk holding period, so very few pet sales).
Do you take credit cards - and if so - do you find it helps you get sales? I accept Credit Cards through PayPal... it's very convenient and does tend to help my sales. (At least with me) There's always money in my PayPal account that is not available in my actual bank account...lol... so most of MY purchases are done through PayPal. I prefer PayPal payments (via credit card or other) for my sales so that way I can either turn around and purchase new stock OR transfer the funds to my bank to get feed & supplies. It's my choice how I want the money applied and when to transfer to my bank - that way it goes right back into the rabbits and not to other bills.
Do you take paypal? See Above.
How often do you update your site? Very regularly - whenever there's a new litter, new breeding, change in sales, changes with the herd... I'm always updating.

Latest posts

Back