Breeder/Buyer question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
Okay. Say you had a customer that had you hold 2 bunnies for you. You also offered to breed the customer's doe, with the fee for stud service being their pick of one of the resulting babies. The customer then comes to purchase and pick up the 2 bunnies they had you hold. One was 8 weeks old (from one litter) and one was just turning 6 weeks old (from another). The customer takes them home, and 3 days later the youngest one has to be put to sleep. It was taken to the vet, and the vet said that the intestinal tract wasn't quite formed enough to be away from the mother. When notified, you tell them that you'll breed their doe and they keep all the babies, instead of refunding the money on the dead bunny. You're happy, the customer is happy.

Fast forward a few months. You breed the doe, the doe delivers, and the customer tells you. Then you turn around and say, "Do we still get a baby from the breeding?"

Now, I'm the customer. And I'm going, "WHAT???" That would mean being out the money for the lost bunny PLUS the money from the sale of one of the one's for your doe.

Am I in the wrong for thinking that I'm getting taken here? I do have all e-mails that exchanged, from the moment I notified them I wanted 2 of their babies, up until now (I stink at keeping my inbox cleaned up). Could it be a case of they always have so many rabbits changing hands (in one day, they had 9 does kindle), that they forgot I lost the little doe? Or should I just chalk it up to yet another "live and learn" and let it go?

I have 10 babies. I have 3 sold, and I'm keeping at least 2 of them. I won't let any of mine leave until they're at least 9 weeks old, and advise the new owner it would be ideal to leave them here until they're 10 weeks. And if they were to die within 5 days, they'd get a refund or could get another bunny (if I had any left, and with proof that they had taken it to a vet).

The rabbit world is a small world, and I don't want to make enemies/create waves. On the other hand, this "live and learn" crap is getting expensive!

I'd say assume that they forgot about the doe, though the wording including "still" makes that unlikely. You probably should print a copy of the pertinent emails & have them with you at any shows etc where you might encounter them. Or if they email you, forward a copy to them.

I would have sent another bunny to you in the first place. But since that didn't happen I would forward the message that stated u could keep all the buns and re explain yalls deal.

I would nicely send them a copy of the e-mail that shows the full extent of the sale.

Not stepping on any toes in the Small Bunny World. Just showing the agreement that was made.

No "live and learn" here. It's real. Not a game or movie. An agreement was made between two parties. You are just making them stick to the agreement.

Any breeder or show person should never backtrack on an agreement. And the Small Bunny World knows this.

K :)

Well, I sent her an e-mail last night, and didn't hear anything back. At the show today, I went over to say hello. Her husband was not a happy camper. He's like, "Just how long do you think a guarantee should be? How long are YOU going to offer a replacement if a bunny dies after you sell it?" I answered with, "First of all, my rabbits won't be leaving until they're 9 weeks old, with the buyer being told I'd prefer they stayed for 10." He made a face, and I said, "That rabbit died just days after bringing her home, and she wasn't even 6 weeks old!" He flipped around to his wife, and said, "Why the hell did you let them go if they weren't even weaned?" So apparently she never filled her hubby in on all the details, and he said something like, "I've told you before about that." So I don't think I'm the only one that got a rabbit from them that wasn't old enough to even leave the mother. And, to make sure they knew I wasn't joking around, I added, "And it's against the law to sell ANY animal before 8 weeks old."

So I'll keep every e-mail (which I have from the first one I sent when I asked to be put on the waiting list until present), along with the vet report. I'll keep them in my "bunny book", so if they try blackballing me, I can show proof on what really transpired.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Glad to hear no confrontation at the Show.

BTW, just curious, what law states you can't sell an animal before 8 weeks? Is this a law or ordinance? Just interested. I've never heard of that. I was always under the impression that release was in the discretion of the party's involved. But if there is something else, I'd to know about it.

Thanks

Well, she assured me and her hubby that she wasn't letting them go until 9 weeks old now. Whether they follow through or not, I won't know. It's sad for the babies, too. :-(

wendymac wrote:
I know it's a Pennsylvania law, but I think most states have one similar. I'll look it up and see what I can find.

Would love to see it. I still think it should be an individual call. I'm sorry your 6 week old didn't make it because of the way a breeder handled the weaning, but my now 10 week old is doing just fine for the month I've had him. Was eating and drinking like a champ. Wow, the breeder did their job.

K:)

The problem was, it wasn't even 6 weeks old. If she had been, she might have stood a chance. :-( I think it's in the Animal Welfare Act, but haven't had time today to look it up.

wendymac wrote:
The problem was, it wasn't even 6 weeks old. If she had been, she might have stood a chance. :-( I think it's in the Animal Welfare Act, but haven't had time today to look it up.
Geez. Understand completely now. Amazing what just one more week could have done.

Know you're busy with lots of babies (hoping Adeline's kits are doing well and hoping good news with the Cali's) I'll look it up myself. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I don't have LOTS of babies to worry about. And don't mind. I'll let you know what I find out.

Yeah, she was only 5 weeks and Max was 6.

Adeline's babies are doing wonderfully! And she's like a totally different rabbit. Before, she didn't want touched. Now she comes to the front of her cage and I pet her all over. It was either having babies or the oatmeal I've been giving her the past 2 weeks. LOL Cals are doing okay, but worried about the one with the sore. One out of three Cals kindling isn't bad. But Jack better have more "shells" to fire next time, or he'll be culled. :-(

wendymac wrote:
Yeah, she was only 5 weeks and Max was 6.

Adeline's babies are doing wonderfully! And she's like a totally different rabbit. Before, she didn't want touched. Now she comes to the front of her cage and I pet her all over. It was either having babies or the oatmeal I've been giving her the past 2 weeks. LOL Cals are doing okay, but worried about the one with the sore. One out of three Cals kindling isn't bad. But Jack better have more "shells" to fire next time, or he'll be culled. :-(
So glad to hear that Adeline's doing so well with being a First Time Mom. Hopefully she stays that sweet. I hear that does do kind of get turned around from offish to personable after their first litter. Hoping it's not just the oats but her new way of seeing life. lol

So sorry for the baby with the sore (I saw your other thread). And definitely Jack better get shooting when you want him too or I'd do the same thing, out he goes from the program. Hoping he has the right stuff next time for you.

OneTwoThree wrote:
NJ, NY and PA are all 8 weeks, delaware is 12, most states are at least 8 though- http://www.arba.net/district/9/state_laws.htm
Googling your state would be the best, there doesn't seem to be a Super list of everywhere :)
here too- http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a1_petshoplaws_state.php?s=nj

Thanks. lol
I appreciated the laugh. We do have a Super lists of Nanny Laws. Shame those who made those laws here in New Jersey overlook or "bury" some things that are crueler and more dangerous than selling a bunny before 8 weeks.

But hey, They know what's best for us. Just don't ask them to explain it. They don't know how to spell cruelty, let alone know what it means.

Appreciate the heads up.

Rabbits shouldn't be weaned before 8 weeks for THEIR health. Its not that complicated. They've done studies. I can't wait until they update the laws and make it 12 weeks.

OneTwoThree wrote:
Rabbits shouldn't be weaned before 8 weeks for THEIR health. Its not that complicated. They've done studies. I can't wait until they update the laws and make it 12 weeks.
Sorry respectfully disagree. I'll let you know how my study goes. I know how "some" do studies. Especially here in New Jersey, New York, PA, Washington, DC. Also I know that in the "show" arena, not the most healthy animal is shown. Just make it beautiful.

If you want to wait until 12 weeks, that's your choice. I do take the health of all my rabbits, now and future very seriously. Sorry, I see how government laws define "cruelty". lol

Latest posts

Back