BREED LIBRARY PROJECT: We need help of experienced breeders who "know their standards"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeScone wrote:
Perhaps when the library thread is set up the acceptable colors for that breed can be listed with example photos of as many different colors as the person setting up the thread has on hand. Then, others can contribute pictures for the colors which are listed without photos.

I'd suggest standardizing on a fixed photo width of 450 pixels. On a standard camera, that would give a height of about 330-340 pixels on a digital camera using the computer aspect ratio (about 300 pixels with a DSLR). That should be big enough to show the rabbit clearly, but small enough to eliminate scrolling even on VGA screens, allow a fast load and reasonable number of examples on a page. This picture is 450 wide by 340 high:
scone_5828.jpg

Great idea!

If everybody submits photos of colors, the panel can choose which photos will go on the top of the page in a two or three-pic strip, big enough to show the breed at a glance but still make it easy to see that its an info page without scrolling.

We'll have photos involving colors, posing, faults and weight (and I'm suggesting standard shots of eight week old kits), I think they'll have plenty of opportunity to take a closer look, LOL!

The whole thread will be pic heavy with all the colors repped, so it would be best to have all comfortably run two or three abreast at a glance. If its not a pain in the butt with the code, we can have them expandable, although they should be a decent size without it. They should probably include a caption with the name of the rabbit, or a 'courtesy of' credit. (ETA: I think I'd like to see this right on the photos in a consistent manner, might look cleaner).

The photos will also have to be stored in an RO Library and not with the person submitting, we really need to avoid future dead links.

sas :thanks:

I could help some with mini rex :biggrin2:I sure there are other breeders who could outshine me on the knowledge front but I'm glad to help any way I can. Lol its not like I have anything better to do (I have come to realize that I have no life other than rabbits :p)

I've got pics of my broken black otter and BEWs. I also have several pics of a BEW litter growing up. There are also pics of my tort buck from the time he was 6wks to now (a little over a year) but hes strictly pet quality.

:coolness:

Kelly

I would be happy to do the Silver Martens.
I also have "about the breed" articles on the New Zealand and Californian and am working on articles on the Netherland Dwarf and American Fuzzy Lop. I think that I also have lists of the recognized colors for a few different breeds. I have been working on a Rabbitry Directory website with information and pictures of the different ARBA recognize breeds, so I have been doing a lot of research.

Emily

Silver Star Rabbitry
Raising and Showing Quality Silver Marten Rabbits in North Louisiana.

http://silverstarsilvermartens.webs.com/
http://silverstarrabbitry.blogspot.com/

[email protected]

Bumped for update in red (I haven't been on the forum much lately to update the list - sorry).

WOO HOO - From Erin's Rabbits...Himilayans

[line]
The Himalayan Rabbit is a fancy breed, raised and owned primarily for show purposes. Himalayans are friendly, laid back, and purely non-aggressive, while being active and playful all the same. These rabbits seek attention and are easily handled, making them popular as both a show and pet rabbit for adults and children alike.

Breed Slogan: Majestic Beauty of the Ages

Body type: Cylindrical

Fur Type: Flyback

Appearance: Himalayans generally have white bodies and dark, or colored extremities. The color is located on the nose, ears, front legs, hocks, the tail, and in colder weather will ofter get ‘mascara’ or ‘eyebrows’ over/around their eyes, called eye-stain, and this comes in four different colors. The body on a Himalayan is long and snaky or tubular, even in a relaxed position. In an alert stance, they have a tendency to look like a full arch breed.

Temperament: Himalayans, or, ‘Himis’, make excellent pets. These small, active rabbits are EXTREMELY friendly and laid back. Personality ranges from shy to extremely active and playful, and this depends on what kind of breeder you buy from, or how the rabbit was ultimately raised. More attention from birth-maturity tends to mean a bigger, more bold personality. Many of the bigger national breeders will have more reserved rabbits, as not as much time can be afforded to socializing.

History: The Himalayan is certainly a breed with a rich history. Himalayans have been around since the 12[sup]th[/sup] century. Monks in monasteries in the Himalayas (hence the name) used to sit them on silk pillows and pray to them for hours at a time. This is what is generally attributed to the calm and docile nature of these rabbits. They were introduced in Europe around 1840 and were imported into the US during the Belgian Hare boom of the early 1900’s. This breed is a heritage breed if there ever was one.

Health: Finer bone may cause some issues in some lines, but Himalayans are not known to be plagued by health issues and can be kept with little to no issues.

As a show animal: Himalayans are an ideal show animal for seasoned veterans of the hobby as well as novices. First of all, the breed is unique. The cylindrical type is specific ONLY to Himalayan rabbits. This breed is considered a marked breed, but one can expect all babies in a litter to be show able. In most areas, there is ample competition, but not obsessive competition. Himalayan breeders tend to be just as casual as the animals they are showing, making for a fun environment at the tables and very little politics to involve yourself in. It is not impossible to win, and when you do… there are no hard feelings to be had. Despite the benefits, there is one setback. The variety ‘pointed white’ or ‘Himalayan’ is the only one that can and will grow a DQ at any time. Smut is a frustrating thing and will grow in thanks to contact with cold surfaces, colder weather, and the simplest of things including leaning against cage bars or a cold front during a rabbit’s molt.

As a 4-h animal: Himalayans are very good for conformation or breed judging parts, but not as a showmanship animal. Use of Himalayans during showmanship requires special handling. Over-handling and scruffing the rabbit can result in permanent smut across the animal’s shoulders, making them an instant DQ every time.

Breeding: Often breeders can’t get a pair to mate successfully in a cage, so this is a breed that is often table-bred or put into a pen to breed. Once you get past this, however, the process is simple, assuming you know what you are doing. Himalayans are extremely prolific, having large litters, usually of 6-7. They are usually excellent mothers and take very good care of their kits as a general rule.

Recognized Colors: Black, Blue, Chocolate, Lilac

Showroom Weights:

Sr. Bucks and Does: Over 6 mos. of age, 2 ½ - 4 ½ lbs, ideal weight 3 ½ lbs

Jr. Bucks and Does: Under 6 mos. of age, minimum 1 ¼ lbs.

Breed Specific Disqualifications: Dewlap, toenails not matching on same or corresponding foot, smut on any usable portion of the pelt, white spots in any marking.

American Himalayan Rabbit Association website: http://himalayanrabbit.com/

American Himalayan Rabbit Association,

Errean Kratochvil, Sec/Treas

7715 Callan Ct., New Port Richey, FL 34654

Phone: 727-847-1001 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting727-847-1001end_of_the_skype_highlighting; e-mail: [email protected]

013-17.jpg

Blue Himalayan Sr. Buck

013-16.jpg

Lilac Himalayan Sr. Doe

16570_1176779138642_1203003470_3049.jpg

Litter of Himalayans (three blues and a black)

BOB002-1.jpg

I am finished with the Mini Rex one...not sure if there's anything La La would like to add once it gets up? It's on a Windows Vista program, so if anyone here has Windows Vista - Microsoft Works Word Processor, I can e-mail it to you so you can put it up.

My computer doesn't allow me to copy & paste for some dang reason. :(

Emily

I could do the Palominos! I can't get any pictures until Saturday as my sister is gone and she has the camera. I will have all the info up by tonight or tommorow though!

If anybody needs help on English Spots I would also be glad to help. Also I have raised severel other breeds so just PM me and I will see if I can help!

Hi, Sorry this is late! I will have more pics posted probobly Saturday or Sunday and about the Breed specific faults/dqs ect.

BeaPal.JPG
WR's IE - Lynx Doe

The Palomino is a 6 class breed. A medium sized rabbit. They are very gentle, calm and laid back. Also very playful and inquisitive though. Their apperance staying that cute baby bunny look throughout most of their lives. They make wonderful pets for people of all ages. Although only people more experianced with handling rabbits should have this rabbit as a lap pet.

Breed Slogan:[/b] Be a pal to the Pals

Body Type:[/b] Commercial

Fur Type:[/b] Flyback

Appearance:[/b] A very stocky type rabbit. They are very cute in appearance and keep they're babyish looks throughout most of their lives. The bucks have a very wide, massive head and the does more slender noses.

Health:[/b] Generally an overall healthy rabbit. Like most heavy beeds though, they are prone to sore hocks. So a mat or board of some sort in their cage is encouraged.

Breeding:[/b] A prolific breed, averageing from 6-9 kits in a litter. Usually a very good mother, produce a lot of milk and males are normally agressive breeders.

Recognized Varietys:[/b] Gold- Lynx

Note:[/b] Sometimes an Albino kit (White, red eyes) will pop up in litters. These are not showable but do just as great as pets.

Showroom Weights:Sr. Bucks -[/b] 8-10lbs 9 ideal Sr. Does -[/b] 9-11lbs 10 idealIntr. Bucks -[/b] Not over 9lbs Intr. Does[/b] - Not over 9 1/2lbsJr. Bucks -[/b] Not over 8lbs Min of 4 Jr. Does -[/b] Not over 8 1/2 lbs Min of 4Pre-Junior - Bucks & Does -[/b] Not over 5 pounds

For the full page of this (More orginized too) see my website, www.onthebrightsiderabbitry.webs.com (on the About the Breeds Page) Also, there is a profile for the English Spot on there.

The first Silver Martens were developed in the 1920's. Standard Chinchilla breeders had introduced Tan bloodlines into the breed in the hopes of improving color and pattern. This resulted in the tan pattern genes being carried on in the offspring. The Chinchilla genes affected the tan coloring causing it to turn silver. Some of the black and silver colored kits were saved and line bred. These uniquely colored rabbits were named Silver Martens in 1924 and the standards were written for the blacks and chocolates in 1927. The blues were accepted in 1929 and the sables were accepted in 1933. The first Silver Marten breed club was formed in 1927.

With their flashy appearance and calm, easy going and sometimes playful temperaments, Silver Martens are popular both as a show and pet breed.
Silver Martens are considered a medium sized rabbit and have fly back fur. They have an average weight of 6 to 9 pounds with 7 ½ pounds being the most common.
Silver Marten does make excellent mothers and foster mothers, but as with any other breed this can sometime very depending on the lines that you get them from.

Black is the most popular variety. They should be jet black with the color going as far down the hair shaft as possible. There should be a sharp contrast between the black coloring and the silver markings. Their eyes should be dark brown.

Blue is the second most popular variety. They should be an even dark slate blue. Their eyes should be blue-gray.

Chocolate is the third most common variety. Their color is rich dark chocolate. Their coloring is described as looking like dark semisweet chocolate rather than milk chocolate. Their eyes should be brown.

Sable Silver Martens are the least common variety and can almost appear to be a different breed entirely. They should be a medium sepia brown on the saddle with shading going down their sides blending into a lighter color. Their ears, face, tail, outside of the feet and lower legs should be a very dark sepia brown, nearly black, providing a distinct contrast to the body color. Correctly colored sables will be a silvery color at birth. Their eyes should be brown.

The silvering on a Silver Marten should appear encircling their nostrils and eyes, on the back of their ears, on their belly and as a triangle on the back on their neck between their ears. There should also be silver ticking on their feet and coming up their sides.
It is not uncommon to have a solid colored kit crop up in a Silver Marten litter.

For show purposes the Silver Marten should have a short neck with wide shoulders and well developed hind quarters. When in a show pose, they should look almost like a half of a basketball.

Rabbits246-2.jpg

Here's a start to the Holland Lop article:

The Holland Lop rabbit is the smallest of the lop-eared breeds recognized by the American Rabbit Breeder's Association. Holland Lops weigh in at about 2-4 lbs., and their small weight combined with their curious, playful personality makes them one of the most popular breeds for both show and companion pets.

Breed Slogan: The Hallmark Breed

Body type: Compact

Fur Type: Rollback

Appearance: Holland Lops are known for their massive look in a small package. The signature look of a Holland Lop is a large, wide head and short lopped ears. Holland Lops are a compact breed and are posed sitting up straight with their front feet resting lightly on the table. Hollands are recognized in many color groups, including agouti, broken, pointed, self, shaded, tan pattern, ticked, and wideband.

Temperament: Holland Lops have a very curious and friendly personality. They are often "on the go", exploring their surroundings. But they always hop back for some attention from their favorite person! Hollands have a very showy personality as well and most enjoy sitting up pretty for the judges, which makes them one of the most popular and competitive breeds currently recognized by the ARBA. But their sweet personality and curious nature make them a great companion pet breed as well.

History: The Holland Lop originated from a Netherland Dwarf x French Lop experiment conducted by Adrian de Cock of Tillburg, Holland. This line of breedings created a dwarf-sized lop-eared rabbit which was eventually recognized in its earliest form by the Netherland's Governing Rabbit Council in early 1964. A little over a decade later, in 1979, Holland Lops were recognized in the United States by the ARBA.

Health: Holland Lops are generally very healthy rabbits. There are no known health complications specific to this breed.

As a show animal: Holland Lops have a lot to offer as a show animal, though the competition is fierce! It is recommended that new breeders start their Holland herd by saving up and purchasing the absolute best stock they can afford. Perfecting the Holland takes years of dedication and many breeders become discouraged in their earlier years with the breed and may not continue. But for those who stick it out, the rewards are endless. There is a lot of pride in producing a consistent, winning show Holland!

As a 4-h animal: Holland Lops make an excellent 4-H animal because of their small size (great for younger, smaller exhibitors) and docile nature.

Breeding: Breeding can be challenging with Holland Lops. It is not uncommon for them to "miss" and not concieve a litter after being bred. And even when they do deliver a healthy litter, there is a chance of peanuts (kits who recieve a fatal double-dwarfing gene) since Hollands carry the dwarfing gene, or "normals" which do not recieve the dwarfing gene and will go over show weight as seniors.

Recognized Colors: Lots- any particular way you want this organized?

Showroom Weights:

Sr. Bucks and Does: Over 6 mos. of age, 2-4 lbs, ideal weight 3 lbs

Jr. Bucks and Does: Under 6 mos. of age, minimum 2 lbs.

Breed Specific Disqualifications: Nothing breed-specific that I know of...

It's been a busy summer, but I have not forgotten that I promised to do some breed profiles. Son Matthew will be off to camp next week, so I hope to get done next week: Dwarf Hotots, Rhinelanders, Belgian Hares, and Checkered Giants.

Oh darn, I'd forgotten about the English Spots, as well! I can finish it up after I'm done with the 100 other things I'm supposed to be writing for people... :D

Julie, the only breed without breed specific DQs are Florida whites. xD

Erins Rabbits wrote:
Julie, the only breed without breed specific DQs are Florida whites. xD
Holland Lops have some color DQ's listed, but they are also listed as general DQ's for all breeds (so there is nothing "technically" breed specific in the Holland standard). But you are correct - the only breed standard not listing any DQ's is the Florida White. (of course, all general DQ's apply)

leo9lionheads wrote:
I could do it for Lionheads if you would like....
You're welcome to do it if you want - I have it about 75% done and have been trying to find time to go through information from when I started breeding lionheads 5 years ago to get a more complete history of the breed.

If you want to take over though - go for it.

Latest posts

Back