Breed help?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTotz67

Reaction score
I have read the breed key and think I know the answer but just in case!

What breed is our little boy? He was sold to us as a Netherlands Dwarf ‘cross’ but looking at pics he looks nothing like a ND?

Looks more to us like a Rex? Hoping it’s a mini one!

Attachments

• 6A0E4C0D-4A5D-4234-9F84-A3E93AFC7B8F.jpeg
    6A0E4C0D-4A5D-4234-9F84-A3E93AFC7B8F.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 28
Looks like a Rex, but the ears, at least in this pic, look too long to be a mini...beautiful bun!! My Mrs. Bon-Bons is a mini rex...see picture of her and her boyfriend Binks.

Attachments

• Binks and Mrs. Bon-Bons.jpg
    Binks and Mrs. Bon-Bons.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 14
Oh we know he’s absolutely gorgeous and just melts our hearts every day! We’ve just suspected for a little while there isn’t much Netherland in him! He’s big already! He’s only 4 months in that pic!

Your buns are beautiful! Xx

Awe thanks, just 2 of my current 29....looking for forever homes for bunnies I rescued from the park that ended up having babies - then we sexed the rabbit incorrect and those babies had more...did A LOT more research, watched thousands, I kid you not, on how to sex bunnies, and finally got the hang of it.

I love how soft the Rex is...I just want to use her as a little blanket. My Binks is obsessed with her and rubs his face in her fur...so cute.

That looks like a Tan rabbit

That dark red belly color (rufus modifier genes is what I'm referring, for genetics people) is not very common, and really narrows down what breeds he can be a mix of. That is found in Tan rabbits, new zealand red rabbits, thriantas, belgian hares and some lines of netherland dwarf. Theres some lops of that color in europe too. But the build and color of yours look very much like a Tan. I would not be surprised if somebody told me he was a purebred tan.

It's definitely not rex, at least pure rex. It has the wrong fur type for that.

Here's a picture of a tan rabbit for comparison (not my picture)

763c37beed205ee207aa424bd37690e8.jpg

Oh my god that’s our boy! He’s a little less lean (not sure if that’s our fault or his genes) but that’s him!

God so not a Nethie at all! That’s interesting! We will have to go back to where we bought him and say something - not that we want any recourse but he’s a completely different breed with different care requirements and weight limits!

We always knew he was a bit special - he’s so distinctive!

Definitely a Tan! I used to raise and show them. I really love them...they’re smart, inquisitive, have personality and they’re active! Yours is black which is the most common color. They typically get to about 4-5 lbs.

Definitely a Tan! I used to raise and show them. I really love them...they’re smart, inquisitive, have personality and they’re active! Yours is black which is the most common color. They typically get to about 4-5 lbs.

Thanks! It is looking that way! We had never even heard of the breed until it was mentioned above. He is absolutely gorgeous but we don’t know if he’s a pure bred or not - not that it matters one bit to us of course!

He’s been inquisitive from day one - hops up on us all the time and comes up for a sniff. Not the cuddliest thing in the world but he will let us stroke and pet him and he does give us kisses! If we get him at a really good moment he’ll let us hold him for a bit!

He absolutely loves getting up on his hind legs - he does it constantly.

Glad the community could help you out! He is absolutely crazy handsome!

Latest posts

Back