Breed Choice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlie

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I am in need of help choosing my breed.I want something small to medium size, that can be a pet. Something also though, that can stand the cold. It gets quite cold in winter down here and I havn't had mutch success breeding my Mini Rex/English Spots or Tans. I love mini rex and my spots but I need some tips to get them to breed, or get a new breed.

If you have any suggestions on breeds or have any advice to get my mini rex to breed it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karlie

www.showbunnyrabbitry.webs.com

My favorite breed is mix/shelter bunny, although I doubt that's going to help you much if you plan on showing. ;) I do want to point out that it would be best to put the cages in a shed or barn of some sort so that they won't be exposed to the elements this winter--I know it can get pretty cold down there. The typical rabbit hutch isn't a good place to keep bunnies in in the winter if it gets below freezing--metal wire can cause problems. See Pam's post here: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=51500&forum_id=1&jump_to=696773#p696773

I think one of those pre-made sheds they sell at Home Depot would make a nice rabbit barn--keep the wind out, keep some warmth in, plus give them nesting boxes with lots of hay. I'm not sure any particular breeds are sturdier than others in terms of staying warm. I'd guess smaller bunnies would do better because they wouldn't have to keep as much surface area warm.

I love my Holland Lops. :)Great personality, deal with the cold well. With any breed though, you want to keep them out of the cold and wind...in a hutch with wooden sides, shed, garage, etc.

Also, if your rabbits are outside in the winter, that's probably why they're not breeding. They need long daylight hours and warm temps to be successful. That's why sheds or garages work well for rabbitries.

Hi, thanks for the replies.
They are housed in a 24x20 barn all year round. They have lights for 16-17 hours a day. They also have heatlamps on the does that are close to kindling and the ones with kits. They are out of the wind and they all get plenty of hay.
I had more success when I kept them all in hutches under a a shelter house. I didn't like that set up though as we have too many stray dogs and coyotes around. It was also unconftrable to be down there very long.
I though about Holland Lops, I'm not sure though. I don't understand how you judge them or anything, I lvoe their personalities though. If I could learn how to set them up and what to look for I would definetley consider them.

I love my Holland mix's personality, but then I love my Dutch's and my nethies' too. I would think your current setup would be better for the bunnies than the one you had better success with in the past.

HIMMIES.

Contrary to popular belief, they do fine in the cold. It's just random, sudden changes in the weather and climate that causes smut and faded looking points. They are friendly, make GREAT pet, honestly the most chill bunnies EVER.

I love mine. GREAT rabbits.

Well, I wanted to say that your female tan's pattern is messed up. Her tan passes through her black on her shoulder. Sooooo...if you love these breeds, then take the willing one and go out and buy it another mate.

i have a 2 year old holland lop who is the sweetest thing-he lets 1 1/2-2 year old kids pet him, never bitten or hurt them in any way; he loves to snuggle just like a cat(maybe :p) or dog. nice thick fur too.....

I LOVE Himmis! Unfortunatley I cannot find any in my area. I saw one at a Orchlen's store and I fell in love!

Wooly_Queen - As it says on my website, they were an impulse by ment to be pets. Unforunatley I cannot though, as I have no room since my parents want me to downsize.

LadyBug & tonyshuman - One of my friends breeds Hollands, I am really considering these as I love their personalities. But as I said above I have no clue on what to look for in them. If someone that breeds hollands could make a video and put on like youtube that would be very helpful.

Thanks For all the Replies!
Karlie

I did a quick google search to find rabbit breeders in indiana and I found one himalayan breeder in west lafayette. I dunno how close that is to you and I dunno when the list was last updated, but the e-mail provided is:
[email protected]

They really are such cool rabbits. Mine are fiesty little guys. :)

Edited because I can't spell lol.

Thanks I will definetley give them an e-mail.
Do you have a website? Any information on them would be appreciated.

i love my dutchies. my hollands i love the boys but the girls, can be soo tempermental. skye can be as sweet as pie to one judge, but the next time, she'll eat the judge. it can be the same person too. same with me. calleigh's a sweetie as all her kits have proven to be but getting the type is a lot harder

oh oh you neeed to get himalayans, I love this breed! and they fit what you want perfectly, they weigh around 3.5 pounds, so they are small rabbits, they have the sweetest temperments ive never met a mean himalayan, andoriginating in the himalaya mountains they can whith stand cold very well

I believe I'm going to go with Himilayans. I'm still do some research on the breed but will update as soon as I make the final decission.

Latest posts

Back