Bowls vs Bottles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Water bottles or bowls for bunnies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My boy drinks from a bowl. Just the downside is he gets his paws in it. Back when I first got him he kept falling in it(thinking the fleece curtain I have for him was a wall)

Bowls. I like the ones that attach to a clamp to prevent spilling.

Bottles are a carryover from days of meat rabbits -- a convenient method but... the insides of bottles get slimy unless cleaned out with a bottle brush regularly (quite the bother, imo). Some other downsides: they can clog without the owner noticing, they make it more difficult for a rabbit to drink (imagine if everything you drank had to be sipped out of one of those tiny red coffee straws) which in turn tends to make them drink less water, it is not a "natural" way to drink so not all rabbits will drink from a bottle.

Decades ago, I used bottles because that was just what everyone seemed to do. It wasn't until I watched one particular rabbit of mine get aggressive (clearly frustrated) with a water bottle. He kept biting at it (it functioned fine). I put a bowl under the bottle and observed him lapping up the water. He then ignored the bottle. That was also when I realized how much more water he would drink once he had the option of a bowl. His mate then also used the bowl and was also drinking more. That led me to the conclusion that the bottle makes water drinking a chore and therefore can discourage them from drinking as much as they might otherwise.

Ours use both--bowls need to be HEAVY or else they can be tipped and spilled. We do have a couple of bowls that are mounted to the side and are great for the larger bunnies.
Bowls vs bottle bowls,
Definitely bowls. If you use a water Bottle then he\she will not get enough water. DO NOT USE WATER BOTTLES!

Have a heavy class bowl

When I first got a rabbit I used a water bottle and it bothered me how little of water she was getting so we switched to bowls. One good thing about a water bottle is if the water gets dumped or forgotten (lets hope not but it can happen) that there is another water source.

Heavy bowls. They can drink as much as a small dog and the bottles trickle vs letting them really drink. I've literally heard my bun gulping down water in a bowl that I know he wouldn't be able to do with a bottle. Also with bottles you can't always tell if they are drinking well or if it is dripping out. It's easier to monitor and refill with a bowl

My buns prefer a bowl.
I don't like the bottles (unless I'm traveling with them where a bowl isn't appropriate) because I feel they could get stuck or drip and cause buns issues on both sides of the spectrum; a wet space or dehydration.

I also believe a bowl is more sanitary.

Yes I had all sorts of bottles and bowls inside and out at the beginning.But, I can clean the bowls better,I know how much they are drinking and it takes me less time to replace now.

Bowls. Much easier to clean and to keep from freezing (I use electric heat pads on an adjustable power supply). Also they drink more easy and tendencially more from a bowl than bottles. Tip proof stainless steel dog bowls work best for me.

I use both. My bun uses the bowl after he finishes zooming around a room but he prefers the bottle if he’s in his home base munching pellets or hay since it’s closer i.e. right next to him. (His bowl is right outside the home base but he ignores it when he’s eating🙃)

Chino drinks lots of water. We have two heavy based ceramic bowls in the house and a stainless steel non slip doggy bowl outside. It is so much more accessible and easier to drink from than bottles and cleaning is a breeze.

Bowls. The rabbits will drink twice as much and be healthier for it! Way cleaner and easier too as long as you use a heavy bowl that they can't tip.

Bottles can leak and fail, but are great for long car rides. I think for the sake of having life skills, most rabbits should at least be taught how to drink from a water bottle in case it becomes necessary (emergency evacuations, sheltering, relocations, travel, etc).

My two outdoor rabbits get bowls and a bottle (during warm weather in the event one should fail). The indoor rabbit gets a bowl only, but knows how to drink from a bottle.

I couldn't believe how much water my rabbit consumed after I switched from a bottle to a bowl. I had to refill the bowl multiple times a day, and I was worried that she would run out of water while I was at work so I bought this gravity water station that holds almost 2 liters of water. Now that she has an unending supply I can see that she drinks up to a liter a day.

https://a.co/d/02cZ8bH

Latest posts

Back