Bowl of water or bottle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlie Spure

Reaction score
When we had Daisy we bought one of those giant water bottles for her cage. However, then I read somewhere that they would prefer to drink it from a bowl. So we've filled a bowl of water and put it in. She does seem to be drinking from it fine. Does anyone else fill a bowl of water up rather than a bottle? She was fine with the bottle too but has taken straight to the bowl also.

I use a bottle. I don't think one is better than the other (although some say a bowl is better because it's more "natural"). I just think bowls end up being more messy, they get stuff in them, they spill them, they play in them. Personally, I'd rather use a bottle.

We prefer the bottle because Qtip likes to hop into the bowl and get her paws wet and then flick water at me.

I've used both, but my bunnies tend to be messy with the dish and fling it everywhere and jump in it. If you are going to use a dish, get a ceramic crock-they aren't as flippable.

It depends on the rabbit. Honey moved her water bowl a few inches once, but that was it. The bottles are ok if they're placed at the right height for the rabbit, which I'd think would be a problem for a growing bunny or if there were rabbits of different sizes in the house.

My rabbit is fine with his water bowl. The only thing that happens is he throws hay in it by accident. If one type of bowl doesn't work, try a different style

I prefer the bowl. I tried several water bottles and they always leaked (perhaps they had rabbit help). She loves the bowl of water. It can get messy, but usually only when rabbit play involves water. When she was little she would sit in the dog's water bowl.

qtipthebun wrote:
We prefer the bottle because Qtip likes to hop into the bowl and get her paws wet and then flick water at me.

LOL Gary does the same thing. I think it is a mini-rex thing.

I prefer bowls because I think the buns drink more. I just rinse and refill every night before their dinner.

I use a heavy ceramic crock for Faith, and a pet fountain for Humma. I find bowls easier to clean. That's just me :biggrin:

I use a bowl for Sweets water :) He just won't use a bottle! It can be a bit messy when he goes crazy & runs into it, lol.
Also I have to change it alot now that he's moulting because it gets hairs in it.

I use a bowl for June bc when i got her they said thats what she was used to. She sometimes runs into and spills it or i find one of her toys soaking in it when i wake up in the morning..lol

I use a bottle for Leo. When I first got him he refused to drink or eat so I gave him a bowl of water for easy access, but he would always dip his ears in them (he is a lop) and wouldn't even care or notice. once he tried putting his paws on the bowl and almost spilled it, it's just so messy.

Bottle is easier clean up (well, no clean up) and gives more space.

I have both is Rocky's cage at the moment, I don't know why I thin it was an experiment to see which one he liked. He will happily drink from both but I keep the bottle in there just in case he tips over his bowl. See which one your bun likes better, and if she is one that liked to throw things around, maybe a bottle will be better :)

Harvey has a water bottle attached to his cage and when he is running around he'll drink from the bowl left out for the cats. I can't leave a bowl in his cage or in the bedroom or it gets tossed around and spilled haha. I'd rather he didn't run out of water because he decided to dump it.

We use a heavy crock that cannot be turned over. Elliot does not mess up the water. Only a few times he has tossed a toy in it. I think it is easier, and you are more inclined to offer fresh water if a bowl is used. People tend not to clean out or refill bottles for days. We also do have a bottle, if needed for transport. We use spring water for all of our pets.Our tapwater has flouride and other things that cannot be safely removed by filtering.

I use a bottle for the cage, and then i have one of those giant waterers for a dog thst he drinks out of too along with oyher pets

fuzz16 wrote:
I use a bottle for the cage, and then i have one of those giant waterers for a dog thst he drinks out of too along with oyher pets
I do the same thing!!! I have a bottle in their cage and a dog bowl with water in it in their play/roaming area. However, one of my rabbits, Jordan, generally doesn't drink from it. She seems to prefer the bottle.

Guys, I have a some kind of crazy paranoia that something can happen to me and I don't come back home (may be because my boyfriend use to drive so fast) or bottle get stuck and not working and I don't see it, and bunny can starve without water before somebody take care of her.

So I have water bowl and Bottle at same time.

She always prefer the bottle. And also water in bowl get dirty almost next day, with her hairs and hay, sometime she also can throw the bowl.

So bottle obviously better. But I also keep bowl. It calm me down :)

Latest posts

Back