BOught a new show buck yeasterday, He is not eating or drinking..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanster

Reaction score
We bought a new buck yesterday and I am really concerned this morning that he is not eating or drinking. Any suggesttions on what to do? He was from a rabbitry with city water, so I have given him bottled water as we are on a well. I am worried because I know that rabbits can dehydrate quickly.

How long has it been since he ate and drank? Has he pooped?

How old is he? He could just be stressed.He should have a bowl of water as well as a water bottle, andtry a little apple juice or carrot juice in thewater.

Do you know if he have a favorite treat?Depending on how long it's been, obviouslybetter to try tempting himbefore forcing theissue.

It has been since yesterday morning since he drank. THere were a few poop pellets in his cage this morning. I am afraid he is stressed. Not sure what to do/.

Give him some vegetables that contain water like lettuce, suey choy, pieces of apple, or watermelon.

I know my bunny will drink more water, whenI give her warm water. How about some tea?

Rainbows! :)

Try giving him some infant baby food (veggie only). Whenever that happens to me, I always try that. Usually they go for it, sometimes though you need to force it with a syringe.

Keep us updated.

Sharon

It seems that he has eaten a little hay tonight, but still no water. I am going to try and give him some carrots tonight. He seems to be depressed if there is such a thing in rabbits//

Rabbits can absolutely get depressed. Was he bonded with another bunny where he was before?

Is thisquite a change for him?

All this is all good advice. Soak the veggies, maybe try sticking a wet sprig of parsely in his face or try to stick it in his mouth. A lot of bunnies will get annoyed, grab it to throw it, but end up eating it.

Find out if he had a favourite treat. Make sure he's got the same kind of pellets he had before. (My newbies wouldn't touch any of the three brands I had, I had to get the kind they were used to).

Putting apple juice in his water is a good idea. Mostbunnies won't eat if they don't drink.

Poor little guy.

sas

If he were my rabbit and I was absolutely sure he had not drank any water, I'd begin syringing water and get him started on nutri-cal immediately.

Neither would do any harm and they may just save his life. I'd continue to offer the veggies, because if his digestive system stops, he's going to be in trouble.

But the immediate problem is keeping him hydrated which you can accomplish by syringing water into his mouth. Just be gentle so you don't choke him.

Good Luck.

RaspberrySwirl

What type of water bottle do you have? and what did kind did he have before?

Some rabbits don't take well to type changes... Lixit to the Nivek style for example... or from water bowl to bottle is another example.

If you're absolutely positive that he hasn't drank anything, I'd begin to syringe water. But just a little bit at a time, a couple times a day.

I would definalty syringe feed some water or Pedialyte, the unflavored kind. If he hasn't been drinking, dehydration can lead to other problems. Besides, the water might kinda trigger him to realize how thirsty he is, and he may start drinking on his own. And I know when one of my guys wasn't feeling well and didn't want to eat,I sort of "tricked" him into biting a leaf of kale, and that got him to eat it. Plus they tend to really love pumpkin, if you can get him some of that.

I had a rabbit that I brought home that didn't/hardly ate or drank for 2 1/2 days then they perked up and just started eating and drinking. I think it was probaly from stress and the change they went through. I hope he perks up!!!!!

One other thing... did you check to make sure the water bottle wasn't clogged?

Yesterday I was out doing my rounds of feeding & watering the buns when I noticed that one of my does hadn't touched her food or water in 2 days... After checking the water bottle - I realized it was clogged. :?

After a quick bottle cleanning & refill... a check to make sure it was working... she was drinking again & then ate.Today her water bottle was nearly empty!

Sometimes it's a simple solution that just boggles us...lol.

Latest posts

Back