Bored Bunny - any suggestions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse_the_bunny

Reaction score
Hi there,

My bunny has seemed a bit bored lately. I know different bunnies like different types of play - digging, pushing objects, etc. I wonder if anyone else's bunny who especially likes digging in dark places/ hopping on high objects can help with toy ideas?

He has free roam of the house when I'm home, and in the hutch when I'm out or at work. So he has lots of things to interact with.

Plus I've given him quite a bit to play with in the past: toys to roll and toss - not interested, balls - likewise. I've built him a two-story bunny cardboard 'castle' and he loved it at first but I think he has used it one too many times and only goes in it occasionally. His favourite thing ever was the large dark cardboard box his hutch came in, and digging & 'renovating' that. He's renovated it out of existence though ;) so it is no longer with us.

The answer seems like an easy one - give him some dark places to dig. But I've also got him some of those straw houses and a small cardboard teepee (I know, I know, I couldn't resist), both are dark and sheltered and he's not really interested in them.

Anyone have any other similar ideas that their bun loves to play with?

Maybe it's because he's getting older, (he's only 6 mo) and just getting more comfortable with us and his surroundings, but I've noticed that sometimes he just sits patiently in his favourite spots just looking at me or staring off into the distance, where as in the first few months i had him he was either hiding under the couch (when we first got him) or running/exploring everywhere.

thanks for any help :)

J

Last edited:
My girl didn't like balls or chew toys either, so I figured out a way to make them more intriguing to her-- and more fun! One of the things I did was grab an old toilet paper roll and poke holes all over it. Then I took her favorite chew sticks (apple tree twigs) and stuck them randomly in the roll. She loved pulling the sticks out as well as chewing on them.
I also have taken wiffle balls and stuffed them with hay and herbs she enjoys.
I've made a game that my Nessa seemed to love with yarn, clothespins, and some of my bun's favorite vegetables/fruit. I put the yarn up in a line (I tied it up between two chairs), stuck the clothespins on the yarn, then stuck the treats in the clothespins!
You can also take a plastic slinky, hang it up somewhere it can swing freely, and wind some leafy greens and herbs through it. The more you twist and loop the greens, the more challenging it will be.
Sometimes though, just a cardboard box filled with wrapping paper is fun to a bunny.

Hi there,

I've built him a two-story bunny cardboard 'castle' and he loved it at first but I think he has used it one too many times and only goes in it occasionally.
Anyone have any other similar ideas that their bun loves to play with?

Mine also get bored with their cardboard boxes after a while. I found that I have to re-arrange the boxes or get new ones with new openings. Or drape a towel over an opening. OR, take it away altogether for several days and then re-introduce it. Anything to mix it up and make it different.

Maybe it's because he's getting older, (he's only 6 mo) and just getting more comfortable with us and his surroundings, but I've noticed that sometimes he just sits patiently in his favourite spots just looking at me or staring off into the distance, :)
J

My rabbits spend hours each day just lounging contentedly somewhere. They have their morning spot they like. Then, in the afternoon, there is another spot. And in the evening, they have yet another spot. In between, they have spurts of energy and playfulness, but spend most of their time relaxing. (They have their cage door open all day long) It could be that yours is just comfortable and relaxed.

When my buns were bored, I crumpled a bunch of newspaper and filled the cages. They were literally filled with it. The buns loved it. They hopped all around and dug in it.

It only lasts a few hours, but it is tons of fun for a bun. Hey that rhymes!

Thanks for so many awesome suggestions! He's sitting here now watching me - i might try that washing line trick!!:bunnyheart

I have had this lately with my girl bun, my boys are a little lazy but she is full of beans and has actually started digging in the corners of the run which she never did before in the 18 months or so I have had her. I figured she may be bored, I admit it's been a while since I updated their run toys.

I have a set of tunnels that you can configure in several different ways and I have started to make more of an effort setting up those, making them lead into their little house, etc.

I have ordered a rabbit jump, silly maybe but she enjoys hopping up and down on things so I figure she may enjoy it.

I have a treat ball and fill that with a handful of their daily food ration, not so good in the run but they love it in the hutch.

I have a hanging ball that you can fill with leafy veggies and hang on the roof of the run to make them stretch and work for their food. I also like mixing dried herbs into their hay, they spend hours searching through for each little bit.

She absolutely loves anything made of willow that she can chew apart and eat, don't last long though!

My buns are outdoor buns and so sometimes I bring them inside (on rainy days mainly) and they love to explore the kitchen and hallway, change of scenery I suppose.

I like to change up their pen everyday so they have a big area to explore frequently and when I do I just hide small treats around their pen, they have fun sniffing around for them 😊

My Guinea pigs were like that I tried every toy under the sun but they did not fancy any of the stuff I gave them so then one day my mom threw a toilet paper tube in there cage and they loved it they chew and throw it around and now because of it I save all the tubes I can to give them plus they also love those knot chew you can get at the petstore there not to expensive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back