Bordetella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
Well The Little Bunny's culture came back today positive for Bordetella. The vet has her on SMZ-TMP 1.3 ml every 12 hours. I have never heard of that antibiotic before but it was on the safe list of drugs I have. I didn't think to ask the vet but how do they get this? Can it be passed to Chase or my cats? I have only ever heard of this in dogs.

The Little Bunny doesn't have any symptoms. She had a runny nose but they removed a piece of hay 10 days ago and it hasn't been running since. But the vet still thought it was a good idea to treat her.

I feel like the circle of sickness is never ending. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but my rabbits are both always sick.

I read up about this a little bit in the library and in the book When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care but if anyone else has any information or has any experience with this antibiotic, please share.

Thanks guys.

Bordetella affects many species of animals, but with different strains. Bordatella is very common in rabbits and generally doesn't cause health problems except in those animals with stressed immune systems or in combination with a pasteurella infection.

It would be extremely rare for the rabbit to pass on Bordatella to any other species.

Pam

Latest posts

Back