BOOMER... The little bunny with a huge personality.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yay, shedding is over..... I can finally cuddle boomer without feeling like I was eating him !!! I literally was getting hair in my nose and mouth every day and sometimes even when i didn't touch him... hair was EVERYWHERE !!!!

i'm sorry... i am so slack not updating as much as i should about the gorgeous Boomer. Life is just busy!

We are on the hunt for a new rental and that is not fun at all. It takes too much of my time... haha. I cant even find anything i like out there. The hunt continues.

Boomer is amazing. He is 9 months this month. I am still so very excited for his 1st birthday. It is going to be a bunny celebration here.
Is it weird if I throw a small party for Boomer ??? Just my boyfriend, son and I and Boomer. Might even invite Coconut (Boomer's Brother that my ex-collegue has) There will be cake, presents and treats for Boomer. hahahahahahahaha. I'm excited.

Oh, want to hear some sad news.... probably not but i'm going to tell you anyways.

My boyfriend ran in to the people we got Boomer off just the other day. He showed them pictures of Boomer how he has grown and they were very happy and said he was a lucky bunny and very spoilt. Then they went on to tell my boyfriend that the other bunnies they sold/gave away are all dead and that they are glad we are taking care of Boomer and that he is still alive. HOW HORRIBLE IS THAT!!! Boomer was in a litter of 4. My ex-collegue got one when i got Boomer she named hers Coconut and the other 2 went to friends children of the people. I am sooooooo sad about that. I nearly got 2 that night. Now I feel bad that I didnt. I could have saved a life. I have no idea how or why they died but it doesn't make it any easier to hear. :( there was a cute little dark grey/black one he/she was adorable... RIP little bunnies. :( I'll take EXTRA special care of Boomer now to make up for the 2 bunny losses.

I guess i better add a photo of Boomer on here.... that's what these blogs are all about. ;)

We had a house inspection yesterday and i was watching the real estate people leaving and the man bent down to pat Boomer in his cage... how cute. He didnt see me watching him. hehehe. Boomer is so cute people cant resist patting him when walking past. All our visitors always have to walk past Boomer's house to get in and out so Boomer is always loving the attention he gets.

I have a big bag of oaten hay Boomer isn't eating. So i have resorted to lining his cage with it now just to get rid of it. For some reason he doesn't like this bag so hence all the hay under him in the pic. I dont line his cage with anything usually. But i think he likes the hay, as messy as it is because he always kicks it out, but it does make the cage look nicer, and he still uses his litter tray so he keeps it clean and smell free.

hay boom.jpg

Wow, he has grown so much :D Such a cutie. Looking for new rentals is shocking, I've finally just moved into my new place just over a week ago. I had so many requirements though, most of them revolving around designs that suited Bandit (ie, no carpet in bunny areas, easily separated from rest of house etc). I got so sick of it, but I'm so much happier now in my new place. It will all be worth it in the end!

That's so sad about Boomer's siblings, unfortunately I believe it to be the harsh reality for a lot of rabbits. People don't realise what they're getting themselves into, as rabbits are seen as easy to care for, almost disposable pets and I'm inclined to believe that far more rabbits die from neglect every year than cats or dogs ever do. Earlier this year when we had a crazy heat wave, I took Bandit to the vet just after for his calici vaccination and I had other clients in there telling me how their (or a friend's) rabbit died from the heat. Well no wonder if you left it outside in the 7 or so days we had above 44C in a row! Yet you would never hear about people leaving their dogs out in that heat and them dying from it (I'm sure it happens, but certainly far less often). I would think that most rabbits deaths are likely due to poor knowledge regarding proper diet.

And people not taking them to the vet when they get sick because they are "disposable" (not my view of course) but the same things happen with rats and mice, because they are so cheap to get and "replace" they don't care about the welfare of the animal itself.

Don't get me started on the so-called "disposable" aspect of rabbits, 'cos I turn vitriolic about that. Trix is eleven years old- HARDLY a disposable pet.

Boomer is a cool little man!!!!! He has a slight devious look in that pic.

I completely agree with you! No pet is disposable! I was just pointing out the lack of small pet education

Oh I know, I hate that mindset too, unfortunately it still seems rather common when it comes to smaller animals. Trix is one very lucky bunny :)

Oh I know, I hate that mindset too, unfortunately it still seems rather common when it comes to smaller animals. Trix is one very lucky bunny :)

I'm the lucky one!!! Trix has been my best little friend. It will kill me when she goes to to rainbow bridge. She's starting to show signs of age, such as a cataract in one eye, but she's still as cute and funny as ever.

There is a small section of the world that knows that rabbits can be as long-term companions as dogs and cats thanks to my little Trix.

I've been so busy that I haven't had time to come here and update you all.... SORRY!
Well we are in the process of moving... We found a lovely little house only 3 blocks away from where we live now. Best of all the real-estate said no pets when advertising this property, but i applied anyways. And we got the house ! and Boomer gets to come along too. (if Boomer was NOT allowed we would have just kept looking until we found a house where he was allowed.) Maybe my rabbit portfolio writing skills were just so amazing that they couldn't say no.... the things we do for our pets! hahaha We will finally have a yard! yay! boomer is going to love all the outdoor freedom. i cant wait to play with him in the back yard. he will still live inside but will get lots of outdoors times on the weekends and afternoons.
So this house will be our last move in rentals.... next house we move to will be a house we own. How exciting!!!

Things have been busy with work and moving and kids and all that stuff.... but life is good at the moment.
Boomer is as happy as can be.... he is loving all this sunlight and enjoys the warm sun on his fur. Spring here and boy is it getting hot fast! Going to have to start freezing those water bottles soon for Boomer to have during the hot days.
Boomer is great. He is such a quiet bunny and very calm now. isn't super cuddly anymore. well he is cuddly, as long as he gets a run around for about 30 mins before you pick him up. he likes to let his energy out when he first gets out of the cage and after that he doesn't mind the cuddles and head scratches.
His favourite foods at the moment are strawberry tops, carrots and herbs. Doesn't really change at all. He has gone off celery a little bit surprisingly.
hay is not fussed on at the moment unless it is lucerne. I keep telling him he is too old for lucerne but he isn't listening. He would much prefer that over any other hay. but it's just a treat and once the small bag is gone....no more.
i do pick him lots of grass and weeds every day, which he really enjoys.
His toilet training is going great. he uses the litter tray with no problems now and runs back to his cage even for poops. Hardly even poops in the house at all now. hops back to his cage for that business. clever bunny.
well that is all i have time for. will update you all soon.

x

hey hey hey....
we are all moved in. YAY
Boomer has a whole shed to himself. it is a a garage joined on to the house with internal access to the lounge room with air-conditioning and heating which also easily heats and cools the garage too.
we are going to carpet half to the shed where Boomer's cage is but then leave the other half concrete and keep some of the millions of moving boxes we have dumped in the shed because Boomer has an absolute ball running around, in and over them all. So we will make a box play ground for him before we dump all of the moving boxes. then our little bit of stuff in the shed we are going to put up on industrial wire shelving to keep it off the ground and bunny safe. then the whole shed is for Boomer. what a lucky bunny....i was going to give him the spare room but we picked the shed instead because we can see him from the living room and it is bigger and has the heating and cooling. so made more sense.
i tried taking photos of Boomer but he wasnt having it and kept running away . so all i have is one of his tail as he is running away and one where he stopped for .5 of a second to bite kale that i was trying to bribe him with. he just wasnt in the mood to stay still . he wanted to explore and play.

so here is the shed. obviously not done yet since we only finished moving in yesterday but that is what we have to work with. it is all enclosed and concrete so Boomer cant escape.

shed1.jpg

sed 2.jpg

shed 3.jpg

shed 4.jpg

WOW it's been ages since we have been here…. Life just got REALLY busy and crazy and took a break … but now we are BACK !!!!

update over the last few months…

Boomer had his 1st birthday! yay Boomer is a big boy now. We had a bunny part with cake, candles, presents and all for him. i have photos somewhere that i will have to dig up from the party.
we have settled in the new house perfectly. Boomer is still living in the garage and has free range of the place. we have also blocked off one side of the house outside to make a rabbit run. It's huge. about 30metres long and about 4 metres wide. so huge for a little bunny. he only goes out there for limited time during the day sometimes. he loves it!
Boomer has stopped growing he is just under 2 kilos. and such a handsome boy.
He is very sweet and cheeky and loves me and pretty much doesn't like anyone else.
We have some big news also…. Boomer is going to become a big brother! we are picking up a little (not so little) girl tomorrow! super excited. i hope they like each other.
When we baby sat a friends baby bunny from work for a few days, Boomer was so sweet to the baby bunny and was such a good boy looking after the baby bunny and didn't even try to hurt or scare the baby bunny. shared all his food, toys and play areas with the baby bunny. So i think the bonding process will be easy since the new rabbit is also a baby and so far Boomer has liked all the rabbits he has come in contact with (only 2)
Well that's it for now. i have LOTS of catching up to do here. So i will see you guys around and get to know you all some more and i promise we won't go M.I.A again anytime soon.

I'll have to add a pic here of Boomer because we can't have an update without at least one picture of the dude.

Easter 2015.jpg

Yeah for Boomer! I hope he has many many more and looks great. Just seeing this pic of him makes me think again of my own Lop Lady that just passed and the good times I had with her, and the good times you will have in the future with Boomer! Remember to take Tons of pics and videos so you have everything you would want of him as time goes on! Once he gets older some of the cute things he does will soon disappear. I noticed that with my rabbits as they got older... Congrats again and all the best to you, your family and Boomer!

Vanessa

Hi Boomer! I missed your updates! So excited to hear that you'll be getting another bun. Be share to share pics of the bonding process! Wishing you a speedy, quick bond like Felix and Clem had.

Quickest bonding session ever. Roo and Boomer spent the first 10 mins trying to hump each other and I heard Boomer grunt once at Roo and now they don't care about each other being in each other's space and eating each others food ect... They are living in cages side by side and are locked up separately when no one is watching them or when not home and when they get let out they follow one another and Roo always tries to snuggle up to Boomer and Boomer lets her. I am read everything I could and prepared myself for the worst bonding session ever just so I don't get my hopes up. But no problems as yet! They spent all yesterday together and today im at work but my partner is home so he is going to let them out in the outside run for some fresh air and grass and let them have fun In the sun. Pics !!! Oh by the way Roo is 6 weeks old. Boomer is 1 year and 3 months old . Roo is going to outgrow Boomer in no time! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428362877.580468.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428362902.344633.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428362934.263424.jpg

We all had the best cuddle session last night from 12- 130am. Roo and Boomer snuggled into a towel and slept for ages just being cute together. Roo was grooming Boomers ears while he slept and Boomer would every now and again snuggle in closer and tighter to be next to Roo. Just the sweetest thing ever . Xxxx I love these bunnies. Funny story though . Yesterday while I was at work my partner put Boomer and Roo into the outside run. He ran inside to get something and came back out and couldn't find Roo. Roo managed to squeeze into the fence that blocks off the air conditioning unit. Hehehe cheeky bunny. So now we can't let Roo outside unsupervised knowing she can fit through the gates. But it will only be a matter in a couple of weeks before she will be way too big to fit! I weighed them both last night Boomer at 1.3yrs is 2060lbs and Roo at 6 weeks is 983lbs. We going to have one big girl bunny on our hands in a few months. View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428451110.921639.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428451128.281587.jpg

So Boomer is due for his needles so I booked a vet visit for tomorrow. Roo is also checked in for a health check. :) my babies first trip to the vet together tomorrow. Boomer will take it like a champ as he always is at the vets and Roo I'm sure will follow him and be a good girl as they check her over and make sure she is a healthy bunny. Today they have been locked up all day and as soon as i came home I let them out for some fun. Boomer is sulking in his cage because I blocked off the back of the freezer where he kept going and when he couldn't break down the barrier I made he went back to his cage and laid down. Roo chose to go and run around down stairs in the shed so I'm sitting here on the shed floor while she runs around me and every now and again she climbs up on my lap for a quick pat before she runs off again. Today Roo loves Boomer and Boomer tolerates Roo. LoL! Earlier Roo just wanted to snuggle up close to Boomer and tried everything just to get close to Boomer and lay next to him. Boomer kept running away and even jumped up on top of the cages where Roo can't reach yet . When Boomer finally came down Roo got so excited and tried snuggling and getting under him to be close to him and Boomer just ran off. Hehehe. Poor Roo🐰. At least when Roo gets ignored by Boomer she comes to me for attention instead . So I get lots more cuddles . Yay!

I just love your bunnies!!!! Boomer reminds me of my dearly departed Trigger. Roo is a cutie pie. We all know what I think of Boomer (hint- starts with an "a"). You have one adorable pair.

Latest posts

Back