Book Review: Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yurusumaji

Young Blood
Reaction score
6a00c2252800f28e1d01101628a104860c-500pi

Title: Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office
Author: Jen Lancaster
Page Count: 416
Genre: Non-fiction, Memoir
Rating:
30bcl61.jpg

My Review:
I desperately want to give this book 5 stars. I'll explain why I didn't.

This book is a memoir about a stuck-up bitch who went from being on top of the world one day to not being able to afford an apartment in the ghetto the next. The adventure is superb to read about - a woman who once looked down on everyone and went everywhere in expensive everything, obsessed to the point of insanity over her hair and nails. She lives in a fantastic Chicago apartment that she pays way too much a month for. Then 9/11 happens and ... lay-offs.

As much as I want to give this book a 5 because it is hilarious, its writing style is a bit busted up and I'm holding a grudge because she slams vegans [ouch] in it on several occasions. The writing style is somewhat amusing, though at first I wasn't sure how I felt about the footnotes. Since it is a memoir, I wasn't expecting perfectly formed anything, neither any stroke of literary genius. I was told this book is very funny and I have to say that for what I hoped of it - it delivered.

I found this book to be an incredibly easy read, something that I just bullied right through without even noticing until I burned into the Epilogue. It's easy to relate to and it's a great, uplifting and amusing read. This book is perfect for someone who is looking for something that they don't have to take seriously, but just laugh at uncontrollably.

Latest posts

Back