Bonds that change

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myheart

Reaction score
So I knew that things would change for my girls without Patrick being here anymore. It's not as though the bond between Callie and Zappa is done/gone, but it does seem 'broken'.

It is easy to say that pair-bonds are done when one of the bunnies pass away. There just no bond left unless a new companion is brought into the home.

A trio-bond is different. If one member passes away, there is still a pair-bond to some degree. That is the problem, I think, that Callie and Zappa are having. Zappa was very bonded with Patrick because she had the benefit of being with him for a longer time than Callie. Zappa seemed to hang-out with him more often than with Callie as a pair or as a trio. Zappa had a choice about who to hang with and she had her definite position as top-bunny in the trio.

Now, she only has Callie to hang-out with, and I've caught Callie humping on Zappa's head. Zappa's status as top-bun is now in question.... When I see them together, for the most part, they are not 'together'. They sit about three feet apart or across the room from each other. On occasion they do sit together, but Callie is always asking for grooming and Zappa has the look on her face like it's not her job. Zappa just seems so lonely without Patrick.

So, my question is, am I reading into Callie and Zappa's behaviors, or is there the possible need of bringing in a very submissive male to form another trio for Zappa? If I do bring a male in, should I be more aggressive with getting Zappa and the boy bonded first before bonding Callie with him?

Little did I know what a great guy Patrick really was for all of my girls. I would be so hard-pressed to find another boy like him. Maybe a senior bun would be better to accept a submissive role than a youngster.... Any thoughts?

myheart

Janet, I wish I knew what to tell you, but I've never had a trio, and frankly I don't know if anyone has had trios like yours ;) I really think that you know your bunnies best and my opinion would be that you're probably reading them right. Trust your heart, and theirs, as they'll tell you what they need. Poor girls... Patrick's paw prints are hard to fill. I wish you best of luck.

How long has Patrick been gone for? Maybe your girls just need some time to morn and adjust. I've never had a trio either, but i'm sure its really hard for them to lose the third member.

Maybe they just need to re-figure out their relationship with each other. That actually happened with my three dogs when one passed away suddenly. The two girls had not at all been close, and they both really missed him. Then, over time, they grew really close with each other because they didnt have someone else to focus their attentions on.

Jessica, Patrick has been gone for a couple of weeks now. We all miss him. He was an important part of the household, especially for the girls.

I have seen the girls struggle with their status-structure already. Just today, I saw Callie humping Zappa this morning, and Zappa sneaking up on Callie and humping her head this evening. I am sure that if I wait it out, they will come up with their own solutions.

My concern is for Zappa because she was bonded with Patrick the longest. She was there for Patrick when Luna passed away. Zappa matured so much during that month or two while she was pair-bonded with Patrick before Callie's arrival.

I just think Zappa is lonely. Callie really only wants to hang out in the bunny-room. Zappa is used to having her choice of hanging out with Patrick in the living-room, or with Callie in the bunny-room. I just think she is unhappy being strictly in the bunny-room to be near Callie. Unfortunately, Callie is either sitting in her hiding-house, in Patrick's cage, or next to her own cage. The hiding-house and Callie's cage situations don't provide any space for Zappa to sit with her, if she chose to.

So I don't know if I should say their relationship is good enough as it is, or pursue a friend for Zappa who might offer her the choices she is used to.

Helen, my heart tells me that finding another boy remotely like Patrick will be a tough endeavor. I want Zappa to be happy because she looks so lost and bored now. She needs more than what Callie gives her. But finding another smart, fun, handsome, caring boy..... I just don't know.

myheart

I have a feeling that Callie and Zappa will figure out their social structure eventually. It could take some more time for them to settle on who's top-bunny. I've heard stories of trios completely restructuring when they become a pair, and it's something that only bunnies can figure out for themselves. They don't bear any negative feelings for each other so the outlook doesn't look bad for the girls.

Zappa will probably need more time to adjust. I've been told that rabbits grieve for their bond mates more than their humans know. Losing Luna, then Patrick, and now with her top-bunny position up for grabs again, she's going through quite a bit of change. Does she get to hang out in the living room where she used to play with Patrick? Perhaps a few hours a day in the living room, even if she is alone, will help her deal a little better than being with Callie all the time. I agree that it'll be tough to find another bunny who's as understanding and sweet as Patrick, but if there's another bun out there for your girls, he'll come when it's right.

Helen, thanks for your thoughts on this. I am sure the girls would work it out between themselves also. Zappa is able sit anywhere she wants for the better part of the day, as she has free-run of the house. The only time she is blocked off is when foster-bunny Cora is out, or my Ellie. Zappa wants to be near some-bun, but Callie is not as adventurous as Patrick was. Patrick didn't care about the cats or dog, whereas Callie is more cautious. So Callie spends most of her time in the bunny-room which means that Zappa spends more time there also because she wants to be near Callie.

I must be the only bunny-lady in the my area.... I actually had the vet clinic call me asking me if a wanted a bunny. I was getting so excited when they said he is a male French Lop. So I had to ask my usual questions... No, he is not neutered and he is an outside bunny. My heart sank because I thought "What if this is the bunny Patrick wants me to have?" My response was to ask if the people would have him neutered, to which the response was "We'll call you back if the people agree." No call back, so maybe he isn't 'the one' for my girls. :(How exciting it would have been to have had a big ten+ pound bunner running around, if he really is a French Lop!!

I was just reading this and I am terribly sorry for your loss. it seems like you really know your buns. I hope Zappa is still doing allright. Any news on the French Lop?

HerbyBear wrote:
I was just reading this and I am terribly sorry for your loss. it seems like you really know your buns. I hope Zappa is still doing allright. Any news on the French Lop?

Thank you for your sympathies. We all still miss Patrick so much...

No word on the lop as of yet. I am figuring that if the people were going to have him neutered, they would have done it for themselves even if he was going to be stuck outside. I really don't foresee the people in my area to have him neutered just to hand him over to a stranger.

I guess it's okay... Maybe he just wasn't meant to be part of our family.

myheart

That is a good idea, though, a big bunny. From what I have heard of their personalities, at least in general they are more relaxed and submissive, perhaps. There are other big bunnies out there, and other dutches--one will be right some day.

PS have you seen the dutches that TreasuredFriend has in her rescue right now? They look like snugglers...

tonyshuman wrote:
PS have you seen the dutches that TreasuredFriend has in her rescue right now? They look like snugglers...

Actually, I have Razz here with me now (black/white Dutch). TreasuredFriend was actually doing a courtesy posting for another lady who has a rescue. I met her half-way to pick Razz up. I will be doing dates with Ellie, former foster-bun/newest adoption, on my own to see if there is a possible bond. If there is no bond, I am free to see if Callie and Zappa would enjoy his company. My real intention is to have him bond with Ellie though. She seems so lonely on her own and would really benefit from a good bond-mate. Besides, that would give my arm a break from petting her so much to fulfill her need for grooming. ;)

myheart

myheart wrote:
HerbyBear wrote:

Thank you for your sympathies. We all still miss Patrick so much...

No word on the lop as of yet. I am figuring that if the people were going to have him neutered, they would have done it for themselves even if he was going to be stuck outside. I really don't foresee the people in my area to have him neutered just to hand him over to a stranger.

I guess it's okay... Maybe he just wasn't meant to be part of our family.

myheart
I think if it's meant to be, things will sort of fall into place. I have hope! :bunny19

HerbyBear wrote:
Ithink if it's meant to be, things will sort of fall into place. I have hope! :bunny19

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. I guess I should just let things happen and let the girls be the judge of their next bond-mates.

myheart

:( Sadly, I must say that the change in status has happened.... :(Callie has taken over top-bun status. :(

Now, poor Baby Zappa has to relent to being chased off when it comes to extra hay or foods being set out for the girls. I've caught Callie a couple of times being overly aggressive with chasing Zappa away when I put new hay outin themorning and when they found the hay bag on the floor knowing they could help themselves to its contents. Poor Baby Zappa..... :(

Well, I guess I could try cuddleZappa more to make things better. ;)

myheart

:( Poor Baby Zappa. You know, if she'd like to take a vacation east to get away from Callie a while, I would be more than happy to put her up ;)

kirbyultra wrote:
:( Poor Baby Zappa. You know, if she'd like to take a vacation east to get away from Callie a while, I would be more than happy to put her up ;)
Sorry, but I think I would pay for Callie's passage out East before I would pay for Zappa to travel. :p

Latest posts

Back