Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyJayneHarlow

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old male, dwarf lop (he is neutered), and I’m thinking of getting a female mini lop.
I’m wanting to get a baby, as I had my male from a baby,
What’s the best way to bond the two? Does the age make a difference to bonding?.

My male seems a bit lonely sometimes so wanting to get him a companion.

If you get a baby there is no for sure way to say that they will bond. After the hormones kick in, and then you get her spayed and try to bond them and they don't then you have two rabbits you now have to keep separate for the next 10 years. Go to a local shelter and find buns that are already spayed and they should let you have "bunny dates". It needs to be his decision on who he bonds with. You can pick out ones that you like and then let him meet them and see if they have a chance at bonding.

Males rarely bond with another male, and if they do, it's a very long and difficult bonding process. M/F bonds work best.

I just want to add that your boy is absolutely adorable! I'd like to see more pictures of him!

Aw thank you!! Your buns are adorable too! Definitely will be looking for a female soon then

Attachments

• 126F1A0E-2489-440F-83B1-E4A95E969202.jpeg
    126F1A0E-2489-440F-83B1-E4A95E969202.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 9
  • B578C3B2-44FB-4323-AE0D-5EFC16FB504A.jpeg
    B578C3B2-44FB-4323-AE0D-5EFC16FB504A.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 10
I bonded my bunnies with two females (one 3years old and one baby) and they did great. But males together would not work. I would say when you start bonding them have them play in an outdoor pen or neutral territory that’s not in the house so they can’t bump into any furniture. I would say you can start giving them play dates before she is spayed just so they remember positive experiences from each other( during reward them with treats). My females unbonded after one was away from the other one for too long. Neither of them were spayed at the time but it would have helped a lot. My older bunny now is spayed and the younger one is going to be having babies soon. Hope you the best of luck but do a lot of reasearch and be prepared. Many people say it’s so hard to bond bunnies but it’s not depending on the rabbit. Having a companion is very helpful if they just have you as my older female was aggressive before we got her a friend and then she became the sweetest thing. Keep us posted! And good luck!

Probably going to start looking for a spayed female, my rabbit now is sometimes aggressive, going to look round some local rescue centers and have a couple of play dates first. Thank you for your advice, will definitely take everything on board and do plenty of research before hand!

Probably going to start looking for a spayed female, my rabbit now is sometimes aggressive, going to look round some local rescue centers and have a couple of play dates first. Thank you for your advice, will definitely take everything on board and do plenty of research before hand!
No problem! From what you’ve written you seem very experienced and ready to take on the challenge! Best of luck. I would say looking for a an already spayed female will also save you a lot of $$ lol!

Latest posts

Back