Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny mom

Reaction score
I got my rabbit on December 11th when he was about 3 months old and it’s January 18 it has been about a month and a few days since I got him but I’ve been struggling bonding with him. He lets me pet him and he will occasionally lay down next to me and run to me when he thinks I have food, but either than that he is always running around the room or just under the bed he never really wants to be me witch kind of sucks and when I have pet him I heard teeth grinding with I heard is good but I wish he would actually come and lay with me a lot , kiss me and just come to me more like other rabbits do any advice because I’ve tried feeding him , getting on the ground , petting him and nothing really works. :(

He's just over 4 months old so hormones can be starting to play a factor. Some rabbits are influenced by hormones more than others.

Aside from that, though, it has only been one month. Sure, there are rabbits that seem to be more outgoing and affectionate, but that is more rare. I've seen some rabbits take many, many months before getting settled in and to the point of feeling more comfortable around their owners. Others never get past the point of the occasional pets (when given bribing treats). Your rabbit seems to be doing rather well given the short time you've had him.

Your description of "He lets me pet him and he will occasionally lay down next to me and run to me when he thinks I have food," seems pretty standard for rabbit behavior. It is those less common rabbits that are more interactive that everyone hopes for.

Don't expect too much for him or you'll just be discouraged. "I wish he would actually come and lay with me a lot , kiss me and just come to me more" -- that may be every rabbit owner's wish, but I'm afraid it isn't realistic. That isn't the kind of pet a rabbit usually is. They aren't a cuddly pet (as much as they look so cuddly) and they definitely have their moods.

If he occasionally lays down next to you, consider yourself rather privileged. It is more than other rabbit owners may get. Give it more time too. He's done quite well in such a short time. Keep sitting on the floor when he's out and about and he'll grow to know and trust you more.

Latest posts

Back