Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OakleyandJenna

Reaction score
Hi!
I currently have one rabbit [oakley] he has just turned 4 months today and on Wednesday im getting a female rabbit. Currently he isn't neutered and is getting his second vaccination and she is not spayed either. They will be kept separate until they are both done however, would I be able to introduce them to eachother with me monitoring? They both have half a room each with a pen separating them and I was wondering whether if i was in there, I could take the pen down and let them interact and then when im not there, separate them again. I've done some research on bonding etc but no one has really mentioned this.

I wasn't too sure where to post this so I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong group.

You better not.
I got it the hard way and what did i end up with? Lasting scars on me and the Two Bunny Boys still unable to fully accept one another. They also have some scarrage here or there, most visible on the white's ear+nose+temple spot and on the grey's chin.

Go follow the common advice and keep them fully separate until 8 weeks after they're both fixed. No meetings before, even if you're around. Even if you were there, i just recently read on this forum that the record for a buck to give the doe a litter is only 2 seconds. And bucks can have some mating spunk in them for quite a few weeks after the neuter.

After these two months you can begin introducing them in neutral territory, even better if they cannot see/smell each other before then but if it's impossible then that's okay. Just make sure they don't get too stressed.

And most importantly, be patient with it.

Getting a baby rabbit and then hoping they will eventually bond is risky indeed. There is no way to know whether or not they will ever bond. Sometimes rabbits simply refuse. Are you ok with that outcome? If you are okay with them not ever bonding and having to house them separately, then there's no problem in getting another intact rabbit now. If it isn't ok, then wait. Wait on getting a second rabbit until your current boy is 8 weeks past being neutered.

If you wait, as recommended, then your boy can choose his bondmate. It's important for the rabbit (not you) to do the choosing if you want a lasting bond for them.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Keep them well away from each other until 8 weeks after the last one is neutered. The world does not need more accidental litters. You need two pens with some space in between. Or better, keep them in separate rooms for now. Or even better, don't get a bunny now, wait until 8 weeks after neuter, go to a rescue and let your bunny pick his mate.

Latest posts

Back