Bonding Young Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliceBunny

Reaction score
Hi all!

My rabbit Blinky just turned 15 weeks old today. He's a very sweet boy and I love him dearly. I plan on having him neutered around 6 months or whenever my vet feels comfortable performing the procedure.

I recently was talking to a rabbit breeder that I am friends with and she mentioned that she had a 12 week old mini rex that was recently spayed and she was hoping to find a good home for her. Because the rabbit is already spayed I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to attempt to bond Blinky to another rabbit.

I'm just wondering if I do adopt this female if I can begin the bonding process now when they are both so young assuming I have Blinky neutered before his hormones come into full effect. I have an excellent rabbit vet that I know will be able to perform the neuter without any issues. If you have any suggestions or advice please let me know as well!

you could get her and house them side by side. you can always get him neutered earlier too. :) That way they spend their recovery time side by side getting to know each others smells and you can alternate who is in which cage as well.

:yeahthat:Our vets said that as soon as the testes drop, they can be gotten rid of. Keep in mind that some bunnies can never be bonded---we've had 2 out of 37 that were totally attack oriented with other bunnies and one that was fixated on me and would attack Nancy whenever she came into the room.

Thanks all. I will start talking to my vet about having Blinky neutered sooner rather than later. I also realize that there is some chance that they could reject each other but I'm honestly not anticipating that. I know some rabbits are more aggressive than others. For example my first rabbit Alice is very grumpy, territorial, and can be aggressive although she is spayed. I can't really imagine ever trying to bond her because I think the whole process would end up being very traumatic for all involved. Blinky on the other hand is the calmest rabbit I've ever met. He comes with me everywhere in the house, has no problem with being picked up and carried even for several minutes at a time, and when he was younger he required eye drops 4x daily and never has any problems with me messing with his face, clipping his nails, etc.
The breeder who spayed the female also happens to be a vet and is keeping her for another couple weeks until she is all healed up, and then it may be another few weeks before she can be transported to my city. Do you all think it would be okay for me to just house them side by side in separate cages while I waited for a month after Blinky's neuter? I need to call and double check how early my vet is willing to neuter but he is very competent so he would probably be able to do it now.

Latest posts

Back