Bonding with your bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is amazing. I just used it on my friends notoriously grumpy skittish bunny, he practically licked my legs off, binkied and flopped at my feet. Seriously amazing. One evening, he's a different rabbit.

When i got my first rabbit, a lionhead, we didn't bond right away. And still don't think we've really bonded, up until a week ago when we got a second bunny (a flemish). After getting a new rabbit, we've seem to start bonding more. But the new rabbit and i seem to have bonded instantly. It's really great. It's exactly what i've wanted from my lionhead a year and a half ago. But my lionhead seems happier then ever before, so i think we are bonding really well now.

i just got my bunnies a few days ago. they do sit on my lap and let me gently pet them. i do this with them one at a time tho. i also sit with them on the floor while they explore. no, they don't really like being picked up, but they will come to me and climb on my lap. i go slow and take my time and once i do pick them up, they seem content to just sit on my lap. should i not hold and pet them? is it okay since they stretch out and lie on their side? i don't wanna break their trust. thanks! this info is very helpful!

Great thread and pictures!!! Really helped me understand that Bailey is feeling comfortable with us and we are bonding! :party0002: Yay!
He has been a great addition to our family! :happybunny:

Wow, awesome read ! I've easy gotten binkies After two days with my new 8 week old dwarf ! He also LOVES to explore and will eat, loungenear me, let me pick him up and let him and take treats from my hands :)

Glad to know he feels safe around me as I try not to get to excited or emotional in his presence.

I have a question about licking...our mini lop will spend forever licking my husband's fingers, hands, even face if he gets on the floor with her, but takes one sniff at me and turns away. She will let me pet her and will bump her nose with mine sometimes. Just wondering if there's an explanation for why she licks him and not me.

KaliQ wrote:
I have a question about licking...our mini lop will spend forever licking my husband's fingers, hands, even face if he gets on the floor with her, but takes one sniff at me and turns away. She will let me pet her and will bump her nose with mine sometimes. Just wondering if there's an explanation for why she licks him and not me.
I would be wondering about heirarchy. It might be that she feels boss over you, but not over him, or that you haven't got as solid bond with her, as he does.

I only got my rabbit this Tuesday. She must feel very comfortable with me already because if I come to the cage she sniffs at me, even coming right up to my face and sniffing and nudging it and she doesn't seem scared at all any more if I'm doing anything near her, and she's licked up and down my arms, and climbed all over me when I'm lying down. It's amazing because when I first met her at the pet store, the pet store employee and I were holding her and she was so scared her little feet were shaking! She still doesn't like being picked up and she struggles and kicks a little but it's becoming easier.

Very useful! I just got my first rabbit and although I've had other small mammals as pet, this article helped me understand how to deal with my bunny more!

I think I've been petting him too much for the first day. XD

Latest posts

Back