Bonding With Your Bunny For The First Time: Tips and Tricks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseTheLionhead

Reaction score
Hi there! So my little bunny got home for the first time Saturday. I've been leaving her alone in her cage, just making sure she has fresh food, water and hay everyday just until her 48 hour adjustment period is up. She has really came out of her shell already and is running around, living life a happy bunny should be. Of course, when I do go put my hand in her to put her food and such, she runs to go hide. I do want a good relationship with her, on Tuesday I plan to start the bonding process since that would be little bit more then 48 hours (just in case I don't want to push her).

Today for an hour or so, I did leave open her cage door to try and see if she would be interested in coming out. She was thinking about it and looking out of the door but didn't come out, I thought it was worth trying. I did read up on Bonding With Your Rabbit and Rabbit Body Languages thoroughly so I can understand what to do when the time comes.

I wanted to hear some extra tips and tricks that others have used in aiding the bonding process that have some experience (of course not by rushing it). Does anyone have any good tip and tricks for a new rabbit owner like myself?

I really enjoyed laying or sitting on the floor with my bunnies when I was bonding with them and completely ignoring them, which lets them approach on their own terms. I would often read a book or do schoolwork, sometimes reading aloud or explaining to them what I'm studying so they could get used to my voice.

My routine was getting home from work or school and just sitting with them until they got comfortable. It took about a month for Willa's first breakthrough, where she sat with her rump against my hip so I could pet her with one hand and turn the page with the other. Now her favorite thing to do is steal a sticky note or bookmark and run away so she can try to eat it while I follow her around the room trying to get my note back (she delights in chaos).

Neither of my bunnies are particularly cuddly, which I sometimes prefer because it makes every relationship-building success feel like a huge win. I do think that bonding is a little easier with one rabbit because they are more inclined to play with you than their rabbit friend.

Best of luck, it sounds like you're very prepared and willing to do your research, which I am certain will pay off in the long haul!

Hi there! So my little bunny got home for the first time Saturday. I've been leaving her alone in her cage, just making sure she has fresh food, water and hay everyday just until her 48 hour adjustment period is up. She has really came out of her shell already and is running around, living life a happy bunny should be. Of course, when I do go put my hand in her to put her food and such, she runs to go hide. I do want a good relationship with her, on Tuesday I plan to start the bonding process since that would be little bit more then 48 hours (just in case I don't want to push her).

Today for an hour or so, I did leave open her cage door to try and see if she would be interested in coming out. She was thinking about it and looking out of the door but didn't come out, I thought it was worth trying. I did read up on Bonding With Your Rabbit and Rabbit Body Languages thoroughly so I can understand what to do when the time comes.

I wanted to hear some extra tips and tricks that others have used in aiding the bonding process that have some experience (of course not by rushing it). Does anyone have any good tip and tricks for a new rabbit owner like myself?

Hi! Congrats on getting a new bun, she looks adorable! I think it's great that you did your research, it should come in handy when she gets more comfortable around you.

When the fourty-eight hour period is over try hand feeding her the veggies/fresh food or even treats such as fruit (feed sparingly though!) That way she will associate your hand with food and positive things rather than seeing it as a predator or something she should fear (which is probably why she ran away when she saw your hand). You could also sit near her cage, it can be closed or open, but the point of this is so that she gets used to your presence, you could even try talking to her (this may sound a bit wierd 😂) it's so that she also gets used to your voice.

I would recommend sitting near her cage and opening the door and having some veggies in your hand (or even some banana or other small treats) and try to hand feed her this way. She may not warm up to you immediately and it might take some time, but be patient! Usually buns will come over to you and sniff you just to investigate you, she may even hop onto your lap after some time to get a better sniff. When she is more confortable you can try petting her (bear in mind not all buns like being stroked, so she may run away, but she will come back again when she is comfortable), also i've noticed that buns like being stroked on their forehead rather than their backs, so maybe try petting her forehead first.

Also remember not all buns are cuddly and may want their space (my bun Bambi hates being stroked and prefers to be left alone), so don't get disheartened if that is the case, although if she is a single bun making a connection with her may be easier as she has no other rabbit company. I'll leave a few videos and articles below, hope they help :)

Bonding With Your Bunny (this is especially helpful)

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/building-a-relationship-with-your-rabbit/

I hope everything goes well! <3

Latest posts

Back