Bonding with my rabbit (NEED HELP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiminpimin

Reaction score
So I recently fostered 2 sibling bunnies and it's been 6 days. I'm an impatient person but I really need advice PLEASE!
So basically this groomer fostered these bunnies before when they were babies and someone adopted them. Later they divorced and ended up with a rabbit rescue. I then decided to foster them and they've been pretty scared. I've had a bunny back in 5th grade and he was easily tamed and the sweetest boy. Anyways any advice to tame them and to let them know I'm not a threat?
Yes, I've tried everything. I've watched all videos on bonding with rabbits and getting onto their level but they just sniff and go away. They're okay with me feeding them up close but then hides in their hidey house. I let them roam around the house and they sniff me when I lay down but still scared when I pet them even though the old owner claims that they love head rubs and will be all over me when they've bonded with me. I also laid in the cage and let them sniff me for hours but wasn't effective.
Overall, they're still scared when I approach to them and don't really come up to me unless they're hungry and want food. They also don't let me pet :( They would just back off slowly... I tried feeding them bananas (they go nuts for it) but eh still the same after. They're both spayed and are potty trained. They're really calm but the female would be shy and scared. TOO EASILY actually. The male would sniff me a lot more and isn't as scared. Any advice would be grateful ..THANKS!

Last edited:
Hey there, when I tried to bond with my rabbit I would sit on the floor, on his level, and read magazines or books out loud so he would get use to my voice. I left his cage open so he could decide to come out on his own. I would also pretend he wasnt there and or if he approached me I would ignore it. His curiosity took over and he ventured closer and closer until eventually he wanted to be a part of what I was doing. I would also hold pellets or veggies in my hand and let him eat out of my hand.

But if I were you I would not sit in their cage, they should feel like that is there safe home base and that if they are roaming about they could escape to it and not be followed.

Hiya!

I totally hear you out! Fostering a bunny is not easy, and getting it to trust you is a whole process among itself. When I tried to help my bunny bond with me, the thing that helped me the most was going into a room, closing the door, and just letting the bunny hop around. If the bunny comes up to you, that is a good sign.
Bunnies are timid creatures, and especially when they are fostered, they are bound to be scared. Just give it time! Bunnies, as much as they are shy, they are also very loving once they get to know you!!!
If you want the bunny to come up to you, hold a food that they like and try to gently pet it. Don't be afraid, bunnies will sense that you're uncomfortable.

If I were you, I would spend as much time as I can with your rabbits. If you do that, they will slowly get to know you and understand that you are not there to hurt them.
I know that it feels like the bunny will never love you, I understand COMPLETELY! But time is key. Give it time, and your bunnies will be sure to warm up to you!
Remember! Try to be gentle and still. Don't move too much.Try laying on the floor and letting the bunny come to you.

I hope some of this advice was helpful! Good Luck!!!!

~Maggie

Hiya!

I totally hear you out! Fostering a bunny is not easy, and getting it to trust you is a whole process among itself. When I tried to help my bunny bond with me, the thing that helped me the most was going into a room, closing the door, and just letting the bunny hop around. If the bunny comes up to you, that is a good sign.
Bunnies are timid creatures, and especially when they are fostered, they are bound to be scared. Just give it time! Bunnies, as much as they are shy, they are also very loving once they get to know you!!!
If you want the bunny to come up to you, hold a food that they like and try to gently pet it. Don't be afraid, bunnies will sense that you're uncomfortable.

If I were you, I would spend as much time as I can with your rabbits. If you do that, they will slowly get to know you and understand that you are not there to hurt them.
I know that it feels like the bunny will never love you, I understand COMPLETELY! But time is key. Give it time, and your bunnies will be sure to warm up to you!
Remember! Try to be gentle and still. Don't move too much.Try laying on the floor and letting the bunny come to you.

I hope some of this advice was helpful! Good Luck!!!!

~Maggie
Thank you so much! They do sniff but when I give them treats and try to pet them, they would back off.. should I wait a bit more then? or just pet them?

Wait a bit more, one of my bunny can still run away when I try to pet him and he’s been living with me for nearly 2 years, it will be two in october. They have only been with you for 6 days, it often take 1 month or more for bunnies to warm up to their owner.

Just spend time with them, let them eat from your hand and ignore them while they explore you. They will later warm up to you, you need to be really patience with bunnies and take it slow ☺

Jiminpimin, If I were you I would just pet the bunny gently, but if your bunny is really scared of you, then I wouldn't. See how he reacts. :)

Last edited:
I love the early bonding days! I would sit on the floor with Willa and explain my homework to her or read aloud to her every day as soon as I got home from class. At first, she would mostly ignore me, but slowly she learned to come over for forehead scratches and rest her rump on my hip so I could easily pet her and still have a free hand to turn the page. It became our evening routine where we listen to music and hang out. Be patient, it can take a while, but every positive step is so rewarding! Have so much fun!

Try looking up the paint brush method for rabbits on YouTube. It helps the rabbit get used to being touched.

I know the video says aggressive rabbits but this is how I bonded with Jypsy..

Latest posts

Back