Bonding with bunny Bella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joico40

Reaction score
Brought home new 10 week old bunny 2 weeks ago....scared to death, finally able to pet her, totally freaks when we pick her up, was not handled regularly by breeder, she has the run of two rooms and her own little bunny home...advice on how to bond with her... we have not been forcing her to make contact...when she does wander into the room she binks and is inquisitive...feel like I am failing her... she's a mini lop

She actually sounds like she's settling in and bonding with you just fine. A rabbit won't binky or explore, if they don't feel happy and safe.

Truth is, rabbits aren't the cuddly pets most people expect them to be. The majority of rabbits dislike being picked up. I had a girl bun that was pregnant, had 5 babies, I handled them all from birth. Lots of picking up and handling(which many are fine with as babies, but not all), freedom to play, and lots and lots of snuggles and love. And not one grew up to like me picking them up or holding them anymore.

Once they matured and became teenagers, the picking up and snuggling pretty much stopped. 3 of them tolerated being picked up when absolutely necessary, and two grew up to detest it with a passion. Which handling I avoided except when absolutely needed. But not liking being picked up doesn't mean a rabbit doesn't like you or isn't bonded with you. My rabbits still liked me and would settle down and let me give head rubs on their terms, when they were ready for it, which is pretty much the normal standard for rabbits. And sometimes I would get a lick in return, which is one of the signs a rabbit shows affection and trust

Some rabbits can learn to tolerate being picked up and handled reluctantly(though you will usually get a stomp or foot flick directed at you afterwards), a very rare few actually don't mind and may like being picked up and snuggled, and some hate it with a passion and any attempts to pick up will go on to damage building any sort of trusting relationship with your rabbit. If I had to guess, I would say you have the later type of rabbit that hates being picked up with a passion.

So my advice... don't pick her up. Except when it's absolutely necessary. There are other options for moving her from one place to another, for developing a relationship with her, and even for nail trims. So picking up doesn't ever need to be done except on very rare occasions. Here are some good links about building that trusting bond with your rabbit.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
And a good link to better understand rabbit body language.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Thanks for the info... will continue to take it slow and steady... she's adorable and I know it will take time, your info was very helpful

She actually sounds like she's settling in and bonding with you just fine. A rabbit won't binky or explore, if they don't feel happy and safe.

Truth is, rabbits aren't the cuddly pets most people expect them to be. The majority of rabbits dislike being picked up. I had a girl bun that was pregnant, had 5 babies, I handled them all from birth. Lots of picking up and handling(which many are fine with as babies, but not all), freedom to play, and lots and lots of snuggles and love. And not one grew up to like me picking them up or holding them anymore.

So my advice... don't pick her up. Except when it's absolutely necessary. There are other options for moving her from one place to another, for developing a relationship with her, and even for nail trims. So picking up doesn't ever need to be done except on very rare occasions.

I would agree! It took many months for Lawrence (lionhead) to fully learn to trust me, but when he did, he was like any other pet. I don't really need to pick him up for any reason; he comes when called, and we have our routine, so he knows the deal! Occasionally, he won't want his daddy to go to work, and will demand pets to try and get me to stay, but he can be coerced.

Remember, some of the bonding process isn't your bun getting to know you, but you getting to know your bun as well! They all have distinct personalities, and although the are less "cuddly" than most people think, they are still quite good companion pets. They just expect (and give) in different ways than other pets.

So just be patient! You sound like you're both going through the process just fine!

I would agree! It took many months for Lawrence (lionhead) to fully learn to trust me, but when he did, he was like any other pet. I don't really need to pick him up for any reason; he comes when called, and we have our routine, so he knows the deal! Occasionally, he won't want his daddy to go to work, and will demand pets to try and get me to stay, but he can be coerced.

Remember, some of the bonding process isn't your bun getting to know you, but you getting to know your bun as well! They all have distinct personalities, and although the are less "cuddly" than most people think, they are still quite good companion pets. They just expect (and give) in different ways than other pets.

So just be patient! You sound like you're both going through the process just fine!
Thanks so much... I have all the time in the world

Latest posts

Back