Bonding two boys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamibuns

Reaction score
Hi I’m looking for some bonding tips. I’ve watched several videos but most of them were through stress bonding. I’m not sure this is the best method for me because my younger boy is quite the sensitive baby.
Some history on my bunnies:
My older rabbit (Zeus about 6 months old) had a bonded partner that passed away around 2 months ago. I decided to get another bunny to make sure he had another friend but they did not get along AT ALL and he kept trying to aggressively chase and nip at the other bunny.
I separated the bunnies until both were neutered ( I wasn’t aware of that bunnies NEEDED to be neutered at the time for most successful bonding) But I’m worried there is some grudges left over from when I first introduced them.
I’m unsure if I’ll ever get them to be okay with each other :(
Anyone have any non-stress bonding ideas?

Hi,
Well, I'll tell you what worked for me maybe it helps, it does require spending a lot of time with them. I have two male buns ( both 4 years old, both neutered and free roam) I separated them into two parts of the house, leaving a net to separate them. They could smell and see each other but not go at each other. I fed them treats in that border and put their eating bowls there so they could eat together. Every day I would switch up the spaces so they would have each other's smell in both spaces and wouldn't become extraterritorial. During the night or when I was away, I would close the door to avoid one jumping over and resulting in a fight.

After an approx a week of this, I would let down the net and feed them treats with just my body separating them after that I would let them in the same space together for 10-15 min and clap hard If I saw a fight starts. They would chase each other a bit to see who was going to be the boss, so I just let them decide without allowing a fight. kept this up for another week increasing the time they spent together until one becomes dominant and it's all cuddles and binkies from there. I did this twice and both times worked without stress-induced bonding. It just takes extra time and patience.

(English isn't my first language sorry if something wasn't clear)

Hope you get them together soon !!

Hi I’m looking for some bonding tips. I’ve watched several videos but most of them were through stress bonding. I’m not sure this is the best method for me because my younger boy is quite the sensitive baby.
Some history on my bunnies:
My older rabbit (Zeus about 6 months old) had a bonded partner that passed away around 2 months ago. I decided to get another bunny to make sure he had another friend but they did not get along AT ALL and he kept trying to aggressively chase and nip at the other bunny.
I separated the bunnies until both were neutered ( I wasn’t aware of that bunnies NEEDED to be neutered at the time for most successful bonding) But I’m worried there is some grudges left over from when I first introduced them.
I’m unsure if I’ll ever get them to be okay with each other :(
Anyone have any non-stress bonding ideas?
Hi, how long ago they were neutered? Boys still hormonal 6-8 weeks after neutering or sometimes longer. So you can keep them all separately for that time so they can't see and smell each other, then they should forget each other and you start bonding as completely new rabbits to each other.
Stress bonding isn't necessary, there are many other methods.

It's a good idea to do some pre-bonding where they get the chance to get used to each other's presence without being able to be in actual contact. From there you can choose a type of bonding method. I describe the pre-bonding and two bonding methods at the following page of my site. Neither method includes any "stress bonding" (I'm not a fan of stress bonding).
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Latest posts

Back