Bonding three bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Tried to bond Abby and Dutchess (spayed females) for months. Dutchess, who is about six and much larger, just ran from Abby, who is a year old and much smaller, but humped Dutchess’ face once. Got a third male bunny, Uno (neutered) who is a year old. Did scent swapping and noncontact visuals for a month. Let them meet gradually. Now Uno and Dutchess seem bonded, and Abby and Uno seem bonded but Abbey still tore hair from Dutchess. They have a large two layer indoor cage but i had to close the ramps and Dutchess and Abby dont seem bonded yet. I can leave Uno with either Dutchess or Abby overnight without problems but cannot trust Abby with Dutchess. I cannot trust all three together overnight.

During the day, i put them in outdoor cages (but right now it is too cold and rainy to do so). Any suggestions for getting Dutchess and Abby to get along better? Dutchess weighs 10 lbs to Abby’s couple of lbs but Dutchess acts afraid of Abby, who acts dominant. Dutchess loves Uno (we lost her bonded male a year ago). Abby is a cute fluffy little bunny who we got as a baby to bond with Dutchess, but after Abby was spayed, she seemed more aggressive. Uno of course even though he is neutered loves the girls (will still hump them sometimes) and cuddles both of them; mostly he wants to snuggle while eating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trios are notoriously difficult, and often impossible. Then you're also trying to get two females to get along, and that's a difficulty in itself. There isn't a whole lot that can be done when two rabbits aren't compatible personalities. Some rabbits just don't get along and will never get along.

There may be a slight possibility it could eventually work out given a lot of consistent positive association. But difficult bonds pose a risk that very serious injuries could occur if a fight broke out. So it should be approached cautiously if it's even worth the risk at all. But if it's done it should be very closely supervised, as not to risk serious injuries occurring.

Personally, the risk and stress of difficult bonds aren't worth it to me anymore. I would rather find a better match for the bun, keep them single if I can give them the attention they need, or possibly just keep the buns in adjoining enclosures and hope that given enough time, they gradually get used to the other buns presence and one day decide they like having the other bun around.

If you do continue to try bonding, because your one bun is now scared, it may be necessary to give her a few weeks or months break, before attempting bonding again. And I would probably have your male bun bonded to the more timid female, in an enclosure next to your other female, in the hope that her seeing the male bun, who she likes, with the timid female who she doesn't like, will help create some sort of positive association with your other female bun.

I would keep this up for several weeks to months, until there were some positive indicators that the two females attitudes were changing towards one another through their enclosure pens. And if you start up bunny dates again, it's important to always end it on a positive note, even if you have to keep the date short. Otherwise a negative association will continue to build between them.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Latest posts

Back