Bonding Still Trying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my husband and I had a pretty intense bonding session with mour 2 year old Doe Boo and our adopted 2 year old Doe June Bug. If we had them in a stressed situation there was no fighting. The minute we put them in a small neutral space there was head to head fighting constantly. If we did not separate them they would have really hurt each other. I am unsure which Bunny is more aggressive? We do not know how to proceed? Should we send June Bug back to humane society where she could find a good home or keep trying? Thanks for all your advice. Rita

I would say to not give up =)

are both bunnies fixed? that would be a big help if they aren't yet

There's a very informative video about rabbit bonding by Ms Bunz:

All the videos we watch show the rabbits snuggling and grooming at least half the time. We have had none of that. We have been bonding now several times a day for a week. Tried again this morning and they locked teeth we could not get them apart for a few seconds. My female Boo had a head tilt for twenty minutes afterwards. We are not sure what to do. Every bonding session has been fighting. Even one of our stress bonding sessions in the bathtub there was fighting. So So hard. I think they are both alpha females not able to give an inch. The strange thing is that they do sit by each other when one is in her cage and they often touch noses when one is in the cage. Maybe that is the best we are going to get. We will try again but not sure we will keep the adopted one. Thanks for advice. Rita

If they aren't feeling like getting along then maybe you could stop bonding all tohether for a couple of weeks until they've calmed and then start from scratch. Do keep their sessions short and maybe only once a day could make some improvement too.

You are probably right. After discussing bringing June bug back to the Humane Society we have calmed down and. committed ourselves to rotating their time outside of their cages. We will keep trying over time. As I said the getting along when one is in her cage might be as good as it gets. Thanks. Rita

Yes they are both fixed. They are both female, both Netherlands Dwarf and both about two and half pounds. The only difference is one is white and brown and the other is black and brown. Both are very sweet on their own but monstrous to each other. Rita

As I said the getting along when one is in her cage might be as good as it gets.

Laying near each other when they are separated by a cage or pen wall does not necessarily mean they "want to be near each other" (though it sometimes can mean that). It is also something a rabbit will do when claiming a territory. So laying right on that border is basically saying,"this line right here is where my territory starts, so don't even think about crossing this line."

It is totally up to you what you do, of course. If all they do is fight when they are together, a last resort effort is to separate for a couple weeks (in hopes that they forget that they've had disagreements) and then start afresh (as @Catlyn mentioned). Aside from that (or perhaps after that, if there is no better progress), I am more inclined to think it would be better to exchange the new one. If they continue to refuse to get along, then they will always have a measure of stress and always on alert to defend their territory. They'd each be better off single than dealing with constant (albeit lower levels of) stress.

A different rabbit may actually bond well with your rabbit (making 2 happy rabbits) and the one returned has a chance to go to either a single rabbit home or be bonded with a rabbit of her liking.

Latest posts

Back