Bonding spayed F with intact M. What do I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juier58

Reaction score
Help I had an unsuccessful bonding of two female rabbits, so had to rehome one which hS gone fine. So I got a male mini lop of 6 months. He has not been fixed yet but my female has. My problem is that he got out of his pen without me realising it! Pen needs adjustment which I will get sorted today. The two bunnies are getting on amazingly well I have had no fights and they are tolerating each other. I put the male in the hall last night as he can't escape from there. So my question is do I let them continue to mix or do I keep them apart until he is done and the hormones have died down.

Help I had an unsuccessful bonding of two female rabbits, so had to rehome one which hS gone fine. So I got a male mini lop of 6 months. He has not been fixed yet but my female has. My problem is that he got out of his pen without me realising it! Pen needs adjustment which I will get sorted today. The two bunnies are getting on amazingly well I have had no fights and they are tolerating each other. I put the male in the hall last night as he can't escape from there. So my question is do I let them continue to mix or do I keep them apart until he is done and the hormones have died down.
If she is already fixed she can't get pregnant, from that point you are good. In my experience unfixed boys can annoy fixed girls with excessive humping and if your girl get annoyed she can start going after him or bite his private area when he humps on the head. So as you say he is only 6 months old he can be very active and this is the only danger I can see now.

You didn't mention if there was humping at all so it is not clear what exactly they tolerate, but I would suggest fixing him as soon as possible. After neutering you will probably want to keep him separately for a few weeks until healed with limited exercise, and then if you see he stopped spraying and humping, marking territory you can let them together after 6-8 weeks. Does he mark his territory now, spraying etc?

I would keep them together.Well, I actually do keep an intact buck with his spayed cuddlebun as free range house rabbits. Bucks can be very charming to does, they don't care if they are fixed or not.
There is the issue of him pestering her too much, a solution here is to provide hidey houses and something like a low table for the doe to get under, and enough room so they can get out of each others sight. I actually considered getting my male neutered but since he developed athrosis in the hip his poestering her has dropped to a not too bad level. My Dotty is such a patient girl, never ever any hint of getting aggressive because of being annoyed.

So , in your situation as long as no trouble brews up I would keep them together, get him neutered and put them back together as soon as he is sufficiently healed up. But keep an eye on them, and see how she reacts to him, if he tries to hump her, if it annoyes her etc.

If she is already fixed she can't get pregnant, from that point you are good. In my experience unfixed boys can annoy fixed girls with excessive humping and if your girl get annoyed she can start going after him or bite his private area when he humps on the head. So as you say he is only 6 months old he can be very active and this is the only danger I can see now.

You didn't mention if there was humping at all so it is not clear what exactly they tolerate, but I would suggest fixing him as soon as possible. After neutering you will probably want to keep him separately for a few weeks until healed with limited exercise, and then if you see he stopped spraying and humping, marking territory you can let them together after 6-8 weeks. Does he mark his territory now, spraying etc?
he has sprayed a couple of times and been popping everywhere! Humping is happening but not to excess and I won't leave them on their own. My female has been grooming him.

I would keep them together.Well, I actually do keep an intact buck with his spayed cuddlebun as free range house rabbits. Bucks can be very charming to does, they don't care if they are fixed or not.
There is the issue of him pestering her too much, a solution here is to provide hidey houses and something like a low table for the doe to get under, and enough room so they can get out of each others sight. I actually considered getting my male neutered but since he developed athrosis in the hip his poestering her has dropped to a not too bad level. My Dotty is such a patient girl, never ever any hint of getting aggressive because of being annoyed.

So , in your situation as long as no trouble brews up I would keep them together, get him neutered and put them back together as soon as he is sufficiently healed up. But keep an eye on them, and see how she reacts to him, if he tries to hump her, if it annoyes her etc.
Thank you for your reply. I intend to get him done ASAP. My Dotty is hiding behind the curtains but I will see if I can sort a bolt hole for her that he can't get at her. All my attempts to do so far have failed miserably

Basically, if they are your pets you want them both be happy, you don't keep her just for satisfying him right? You want her to be happy too and don't want her to be abused and hiding from him when he gets horny. So I would say fix him as soon as possible before he gets bad habits like spraying and marking and humping excessively.

You say she was grooming him that's nice, but it was only short time, when you keep them together all the time and he will be chasing her things can change every minute and when you are not there. You don't want them to start fighting because it will be more difficult to bond them after. Also, when you keep him so close to her he will be nervous and will spray and mark and will try to get to her, maybe rattling the gate or something, it's not funny it's stress for him as well. When you keep them so they can't see and smell each other he will calm down and won't be spraying that much, then you fix him and he will heal and you can start bonding when he is ready

I have a fixed female and an unfixed male, and I do have to keep the separate because he will try to annoy her with constant humping. If she doesn't escape to his side of my room. Mind you, she doesn't actually attacks him. She teases him and runs away, which causes him to thump. But it is still wise to keep the two separate. So I agree with @zuppa on this.

Latest posts

Back