Bonding- should I wait 6 or 8 weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3lly

Reaction score
My bunnies are getting neutered on Tuesday. I know I am supposed to wait 6-8 weeks before trying to bond. If I wait 6 weeks, then bonding day will be December 24th and I will be home for the next 12 days on winter break. If I wait 8 weeks, then I will be back at work. My bunnies are Netherland dwarf bunnies. Are there signs that I should look for to help me decide that they are ready or not ready?

I like the idea that I could be with them all day during the break but I don’t want to rush them if they are not ready. I am hoping that because they are so little that their hormones will settle faster but I doubt that is how it works.

Right now they are in separate cages side by side. They get a lot of time out of their cages one at a time. When they are out, they run around each other’s cages, poop around each other’s cages, put their faces together through the bars (no biting) follow each other, flop in front of each other’s cages. I have heard a little bit of honking from both of them but not very often.

Thanks for any advice.

These are their disapproving bunny faces - how they feel about neuter day.
65D05C89-5C9B-4A3F-BB15-F1D4B62B2A3C.jpeg

Hi, are they both males? I know males need a bit less time than females after surgery, like at least 30 days or up to 6 weeks. That would be great to do bonding during the Christmas break and they are showing great signs already hopefully everything will go smoothly for you all.

Latest posts

Back