bonding rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h0llyharris

Reaction score
Hey, i’ve had my mini lop since december, he is around 7 months old. I’ve been looking lately into getting him a rabbit friend, but there are a few things I need help with. First thing is, if I were to buy a different breed of rabbit would they get along? I also plan on getting a girl so, do males and females get along? As i mentioned he is around 7 months so would it be a problem if i bought a baby e.e 8 weeks old? And lastly how would i go about bonding them? Thanks in advance.

Breed, size, age, etc is not much of a concern when bonding rabbits. Male/female bonds are normally easier than male/male bonds or female/female bonds. The most important thing to know before bonding rabbits is to have both of the rabbits spayed/neutered.
Is your mini lop neutered? I would not suggest getting a baby rabbit that is 8 weeks old because you will have to keep the bunnies in different rooms to prevent aggression towards you (changing your clothes and washing your hands after dealing with either bunny) for 5 months until you can get the new rabbit spayed. You will also not be able to start bonding the rabbits until the rabbit's hormones have calmed down after the surgery (1-2 months). Even then, there is a chance the rabbits will not bond and you will have to keep them separate for the rest of their lives (10-12 years).
I would suggest adopting a rabbit from a rabbit rescue. All the bunnies there should already be spayed/neutered. Some rescues will allow you to drop your rabbit off and they will bond it with the rabbit it gets along with, or you can take your rabbit to "bunny dating" where your rabbit meets lots of bunnies and whichever rabbit it likes the best you take home and continue the bonding process.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

I plan on letting them have babies, so I know this will make the bonding process harder without being spayed and neutered. Although everywhere that i have read says that a Doe can’t fall pregnant until at least 3 months? I don’t know how true that is but that would give at least a month I hope

I plan on letting them have babies, so I know this will make the bonding process harder without being spayed and neutered. Although everywhere that i have read says that a Doe can’t fall pregnant until at least 3 months? I don’t know how true that is but that would give at least a month I hope
Why would you let them have babies? Please don't. The responsible thing to do is to get your boy neutered, wait 8 weeks and take him to a rescue centre so he can choose a mate.

Latest posts

Back