Bonding rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again, ok so my two buns have been living side by side in their pens for 3 weeks. So far all good, lots of sniffing and lying next to each other. I’m going to give them their first face to face date in our bathroom which is a neutral area next Monday. I’ve done alot of research but I’m confused if I should put them on the bathroom floor with some apple branches to nibble on or in the bathtub with no treats? I’m leaning toward the apple branches as I want to make it a positive experience- what do you all think??
The bathroom floor is just fine. The idea of the bathtub is considered stress-bonding. Some used to suggest using a slick tub so the rabbits can't get traction and attack each other. But no traction also means they can potentially injure themselves (leg or back) on such a slippery surface. If a tub is rather large and if it is not a slick porcelain or slick fiberglass tub, it could potentially work. (I've used a larger fiberglass with textured floor tub before. It wasn't slick.)

Since most tubs are fairly small, there really isn't room for extra stuff. But having distractions like the apple branches, food, hay, cardboard boxes is all good -- recommended even. So the bathroom floor may be a better option to allow the space for those handy distractions.

I'm not a fan of stress-bonding and seriously question it's use especially in more difficult bonds. Here's more on that:
STRESS BONDING - what does it mean? : CottonTails Rabbit & Guinea Pig Rescue

Hi all, quick update first bonding session went extremely well. They were only together for 10 minutes but initially ignored each other then flopped next to each other. I’m so happy, hoping tomorrow goes as well. I’m going to increase their time together by 10 minutes each day. By the end of the week if all going well should I try in a bigger area?

Attachments

• E3925B36-60BB-4E4F-BA2E-377CF471B175.jpeg
    E3925B36-60BB-4E4F-BA2E-377CF471B175.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back