Bonding- Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! So I posted a thread about a month ago about my new rabbit not getting along with my current rabbit. we ended up taking her back to the shelter and exchanging her for a new female (my rabbit is a male - they are both fixed). The shelter kept them together in neutral territory for a week and told me to do the same when I take them home. They were great together - lots of snuggling and grooming. After about a week in the bathroom I moved them into my current rabbit’s room, and once again no issues - for a few days. All of a sudden I hear loud bangs coming from my room and I walk in to hair EVERYWHERE! I separated them and gave them time to cool off. Now they fight every time they’re near each other. Even through the bars of the pet pen I set up in between them. How can I fix this bond?? Is it best to separate them completely and let them forget about each other or eventually will they get bored of trying to fight through the pen and then I can try again? HELP!!

I would separate them for 2-ish weeks and then start over. I don't know if I have already recommended this video to you, but you should watch it if you have not yet.

I would separate them for 2-ish weeks and then start over. I don't know if I have already recommended this video to you, but you should watch it if you have not yet.

Should I go back to pretending during this time or completely separate?

I'd also suggest you keep the shelter informed of what is going on. They may offer suggestions, but more importantly, they will then be aware of what is happening just in case you need to exchange again.

Bringing the rabbits back into the current rabbit's territory is always a test/challenge for a new bond. Did you do what you could to make that area as neutral as possible? It is a good idea, when bringing a newly formed bond into another's territory, to re-arrange furniture, wipe things down with vinegar, remove "his" toys or mats and replace them with ones they both shared in their neutral territory.

Completely separate them so that they will forget each other.
Okay so an update: I haven’t completely separated them yet. I have allowed them to still sniff each other through the gate and it has become a lot less aggressive. They frequently come up to each other to sniff and clean themselves next to each other. Is this a sign that I can try again? or should I still start from scratch? thanks in advance!

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad everything is going great! I would try again, (using the video above as a guide) and see how they do. :)

Hi! So I posted a thread about a month ago about my new rabbit not getting along with my current rabbit. we ended up taking her back to the shelter and exchanging her for a new female (my rabbit is a male - they are both fixed). The shelter kept them together in neutral territory for a week and told me to do the same when I take them home. They were great together - lots of snuggling and grooming. After about a week in the bathroom I moved them into my current rabbit’s room, and once again no issues - for a few days. All of a sudden I hear loud bangs coming from my room and I walk in to hair EVERYWHERE! I separated them and gave them time to cool off. Now they fight every time they’re near each other. Even through the bars of the pet pen I set up in between them. How can I fix this bond?? Is it best to separate them completely and let them forget about each other or eventually will they get bored of trying to fight through the pen and then I can try again? HELP!!

Some bunnies are just more difficult to bond. Maybe wash the rabbit room with vinegar, and try again.
In the 80ies and 90ies when bonding bunnies, we used a bit of fragran on both bunnies, but I think this is not recommended anymore.

Latest posts

Back