Bonding Pair: Waiting 4wks vs 8wks post-neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svaz15

Reaction score
I am debating waiting only 4 weeks post-neuter or waiting 6-8 weeks post-neuter to bond my male and (spayed) female. Right now they can see each other, they have been sniffing each other and even few licks here and there. My female flopped next to the male, and a different time my male turned his back and started grooming himself in front of the female. From what I read about bonding these are two great signs. My male is being a little destructive and being grumpy at times (not towards us at all), I think because he is frustrated he can not be with my female. And I think it would be good for my female to feel more comfortable and confident in the house hold to be with the male.

This is my first experience with bonding, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

I unfortunately don’t actually know how long you should wait. I would honestly call your vet and ask especially if they are rabbit savvy.

But in my experience I would say wait as long as you can or are told. Rabbits breed insanely quick it literally takes 2 seconds. I don’t know how fertile he would be 4 weeks post neutering but I personally wouldn’t want to chance it if my vet said wait longer.

There should be someone on here that know or this is already a question that has been asked

4 weeks for females and 6-8 weeks for males is right. Males can be fertile up to 6 weeks after surgery so I would wait as long as they are able to see each other then he should be fine for another 2-3 weeks, you don't want any hormonal fighting to postpone the bonding process or even ruin it completely.

Latest posts

Back