Bonding my female with a male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I adopted a boy NZW rabbit on December 15th. I let my female lionhead Nala pick him at a speed dating session we set up with our local shelter. I’ve been bonding them since and it’s coming along pretty well. My female is very accepting of him and does the majority of grooming. My male seldomly grooms her and will push under her to make sure he gets groomed. My female has no problem with this. I tried banana on her head to encourage him to groom her and it worked. My questions are : how can I get him to groom her without always using banana and also he humps her a lot on the head which I know is dangerous so I break it up when it happens. Is this normal? Any suggestions are welcomed! Thank you.

Attachments

• 2C097473-673B-4897-9E49-65882C0C2516.jpeg
    2C097473-673B-4897-9E49-65882C0C2516.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 5
Hello! I have the exact same thing. My male acts like a spoiled brat. During bonding she would groom him for 2 minutes straight then he’d come up give her maybe two licks then bow his head for more! As long as your rabbits aren’t fighting it is all good! Even to this day I still see my female grooming my male but he doesn’t groom her. As for the head humping that’s normal to establish dominance. How big are your rabbits? My male is 3 pounds and my female is 5 so the easiest place for him to hump was her head. I agree though that should be broken up immediately. Best wishes!

Hello! I have the exact same thing. My male acts like a spoiled brat. During bonding she would groom him for 2 minutes straight then he’d come up give her maybe two licks then bow his head for more! As long as your rabbits aren’t fighting it is all good! Even to this day I still see my female grooming my male but he doesn’t groom her. As for the head humping that’s normal to establish dominance. How big are your rabbits? My male is 3 pounds and my female is 5 so the easiest place for him to hump was her head. I agree though that should be broken up immediately. Best wishes!
Thank you for the reply! Now I know I’m not alone lol and my girl is 1 1/2 pounds and my boy is 3!!

Latest posts

Back