Bonding Munchkin and Gizmo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Having no idea of the type of life Munchkin had before being found with overgrown teeth running free, I am often concerned by his defensive actions towards other rabbits, and even the guinea pigs when I let them out in the same room as him previously.

Because Moon is bonded with Flopsy - they tend to attack Munchkin as a team, so bonding for them has not been an option up to now, besides he seemed happier alone.

Recently I've felt he was becoming lonely as he refuses to stay downstairs and only sees us when we are upstairs. He is a very affectionate bunny to me and the kids and I hate to think of him being bored alone now I am at work, and the kids are at school all day. He can't play with toys because his teeth were removed, so he is limited in ways to amuse himself.

Gizmo has been with us a couple of months now, and I was holding off on intro's with them until he was neutered but he is showing signs of lonliness and I decided to see how him and munchkin might get on tonight.

That's where I am interested in the members with lots of experiences views on events. Gizmo enters my bedroom - Munchkins domain - and skips across room. Munchkin comes storming up and "bites" him in the side, except he can't bite what with having no teeth, so its more of a headbutt. ;)

Gizmo does not react aggressively (thank goodness) and instead a game of chasies ensues with one running ahead - the other running after - tag and so on and so forth. Meanwhile poops are flying around the room as they zoom in and out from under my bed.

It seems to become fun for them - I'm sure they were almost skipping around, and eventually they both flopped down on different sides of the room.

Is it ok for me to continue with this or is it stressful to them? What would be signs I should look for of Munchkin being distressed at an intruder?

My gut feeling is they will be friends, but I want to be sure I do things right, as Moon and Flopsy bonded so easily and its worked out so well - I want Munchkin and Gizmo to have a "friend" too.

Thanks!

I would introduce them now and let them get used to another bunny, but not try anything too serious until after the neuter because buns can change quite a bit after that and I've heard of people having to rebond after an alteration...

I don't know too much about bonding though, I'm sure Ali or Haley will have better advice than me ;)

That makes sense from what I've read too!:)

I don't intend on them sharing a cage right now - I've moved Gizmo's cage into my bedroom as well as Munchkins. It's more just so they have each others company when I'm not around.

I guess I can see how they get on and work from there. At this minute they are fine - Munchkin is under my bed and Gizmo is lying against the wall.

Having Gizmo in my room means I can leave his cage open more - he is starting to chew on the bars when locked in and I don't like to think he feels contained, so until B&Q get me the remaining 4 boxes of NIC cubes they owe me - my room is the safest place for him.

They are bonded! ;)

That was quick and painless and I know how totally lucky I've been with bonding. I can see a huge improvement in them both from having a snuggle partner too.

Loved looking through your blog jadeicing! Thanks for the link - those pictures are adorable! Such gorgeous bunnies ;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Umm my Dallas has no teeth to! I know what you mean about the "bitting". I think it would be ok as no one seems stressed.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=27042&forum_id=6
How do they eat? is it just the front teeth they had pulled?

Dallas has no teeth. He eats most everything. Hard veggies we dice.

100_9781-1.jpg

100_9779-1.jpg

100_9778-1.jpg

100_9777.jpg

Well, after Bo got mad this week with butt baths, and smelling the other bunny on me..... My shoulders have a few little bruises on them..... maybe.........

:p

I never knew they could take them out. What was the reason they did it? I thought Malooclusion was the back teeth only.

They were really bad and had been left unattended for a little bit. His brother also had them removed. It was a breeder issues. We know of 5 rabbits coming from that place that has the problem. The breeder refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem.

I believe regular trims would have been possible but sometimes the rescue has to make the choice. If they had been left like that alot of people would not be able to continue treatment. Also possibly not give him the treatment if needed.

With munchkin, the shelter had it done as his teeth were sticking out like wire when he was found.
I imagine the vet assessed that he gets too easily stressed for trims so often, and so made the decision to remove them completely, judging by how easily stressed he gets (he is improving now)

Latest posts

Back