BONDING HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently adopted a new rabbit (spayed female) to bond with my other rabbit (neutered male). The rabbit rescue I adopted her from allows you to bring in your current rabbit and have them stay in a cage with the rabbit you wish you adopt in order to get the bonding process started. After a little over a week of staying together, they were grooming each other and getting along great. However, once bringing them both home, THEY DO NOT STOP FIGHTING. I had to separate them finally in order to get some sleep without having to break up a fight. I've tried introducing them in different territories (all neutral), taking them for car rides...etc. and nothing seems to be working. I'm so heartbroken because I don't understand how they can take this big step back and I really want it to work. She's been at the rescue her whole life and I really wanted to give her a good home.... PLEASE HELP!

Have you been in contact with the rescue that did the bonding? Whenever newly bonded rabbits leave their bonding area, there is a risk that the bond can suffer. If they are brought to a place that one rabbit considers his territory, it can make it even more problematic.

How long have they been home? What size space were they put when first brought home?

If they've been continually re-introduced into new spaces, no wonder there have been issues. Any move is always a potential to cause issues.

You were right to separate them if they are fighting. If their fighting has been escalating, then it is doubtful they will bond. I'd definitely be in contact with the place that did the bonding (hopefully you've been keeping them informed all along).

As a last ditch effort, you could keep them totally separate for a couple weeks and then re-introduce them. But I'd first contact the rescue because they may prefer you just bring her back. It may be difficult to bring her back, but there comes a point when the stress of attempting the bond is just too much for her.

Hi everyone, I recently adopted a new rabbit (spayed female) to bond with my other rabbit (neutered male). The rabbit rescue I adopted her from allows you to bring in your current rabbit and have them stay in a cage with the rabbit you wish you adopt in order to get the bonding process started. After a little over a week of staying together, they were grooming each other and getting along great. However, once bringing them both home, THEY DO NOT STOP FIGHTING. I had to separate them finally in order to get some sleep without having to break up a fight. I've tried introducing them in different territories (all neutral), taking them for car rides...etc. and nothing seems to be working. I'm so heartbroken because I don't understand how they can take this big step back and I really want it to work. She's been at the rescue her whole life and I really wanted to give her a good home.... PLEASE HELP!

I would start from scratch. Have 2 separate areas where they can see and smell eachother but keep the area apart where they can not touch eachother or nip through bars. I did this for about 1 month. And then start switching their areas, so put bun 1 where bun 2 normally is and continue to switch them every 1-2 days if possible, do that for about 1 month. Then try stress bonding (on a washer/dryer or car ride in a small area) do that for a few days and then try just the bath tub for maybe 15 to 30 min. And then slowly expand the area that you are bonding them in. Then take them to the area where your 1st buns territory and just give them a very small space in there and slowly expand it. I would still definitely contact the rescue and inform them as well.

Latest posts

Back