bonding help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmybuns23

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to this forum. I am 7 weeks into pre bonding and after 4 days of bonding sessions nothing good has come of it. I love both so much and just feel emotionally exhausted. quick situation: male was free roam and followed me everywhere. She is 3 months younger than he is, both are fixed and well pas 8 weeks post fixing. I have them splitting a 1000 sqft finished basement. I switch litter every 24 hours. She started a tornado yesterday w him that left me shook to the core. I adopted her and just love her too. I want to cry but love so much to read the amazing love connections. I spend hours and hours each day with each of them. I am clueless as to how I can help these two buns fall in love. If you have any wise advice I welcome it. Than you so much!

Having a large space is likely the problem. How was the pre-bonding done? Once pre-bonding is done, it is recommended to allow them together in a very limited, neutral space. Large spaces increase the chances of territorial disputes.

Since they just had a tornado fight, I'd suggest giving it a break for several days minimum. Did you just remove the barricade and allow them free run of the whole basement? How did they behave when they were separated during pre-bonding? Did you ever swap them (put each one in the other's space, still separated)?

hi! so their pens are 6 inches apart to split the basement. bonding i did in a neutral 6x6 size space with some toys and hay only. during pre bomd i’d switch their pens daily although someone said that’s too much just every 2-4 days but switch litter boxes. both have an insane amount of toys etc.. i just don’t understand what i’m doing wrong. even a car ride didn’t phase them they still fought.

6 by 6 is way to large. In my experiance I started bonding in a 6 by 2, but in hindsight I would have used a 4 by 2. Try to do smaller and see how that works. Youll have to use a new neutral area.

Once they've had a tornado fight, they need a break. They remember that fight and won't be happy to see each other. If you can have them out of sight of each other during this break, even better. The goal here is for them to forget that they fought and hope they are willing to give it another try. A week or so might be a good idea.

Having more info on what you've been doing, I certainly don't see anything "wrong" with what you've done so far. The 6 x 6 pen area should not be too large, imo. That's a pretty typical size ok for bonding. You can sit in there with them. Next time, I agree it would be good to find a new space so as not to remind them of what occurred before.

Sometimes rabbit bondings can be difficult. Sometimes they simply are not going to work at all. It doesn't mean that you did something wrong. It's mostly up to the rabbits. The car ride (stress bonding) idea is iffy at best. I've never found it to be helpful for difficult bonds. At best, it may lull the owner into thinking they are getting along when in fact they are just too scared to fight. If yours fought then too, then there's no point. I've only seen positive reaction to stress bonding with rabbits that are already inclined to get along anyway.

By giving it a break, they'll have a chance to (hopefully) forget they didn't get along. It also gives you a chance to relax. I get that it is nerve-racking to see them fight. They can pick up on your stress levels too, so you'll want to be calm the next time you try bonding them.

thank yiu you for taking the time to give me some advice. mostly i hear well maybe take her back now but we’ve only just really started the process so i don’t have the heart to do so yet.
the stress thing i agree - i don’t trust that that situation is a true indication of calmness. plus, because they did fight a bit i just don’t feel right doing that.
i will give them a “no see “ break for a bit and regroup next week. some have said do 24/7 but i’m a solo person, new to bunnies and don’t feel that confident in my stamina since its so volatile.

again thank you so much, i am really appreciative. 😃have a great weekend!!!

If you got this second bun from a rabbit rescue, it's a good idea to keep them informed of the difficulty you're having bonding them. They may have some tips to offer, and if things just don't work out, they typically allow an exchange. But at least they will be aware of what is going on and won't be surprised if the rabbits end up not being able to bond.

Latest posts

Back