Bonding For A First Timer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenniferm

Reaction score
Bonding Question: This is my first time bonding rabbits so not sure what to expect. I have a 7 month old Flemish Giant (neutered male) and a 4 month old Flemish Giant/New Zealand mix (female, not spayed yet). They have seperate enclosures but have supervised bonded time. So far there has been no fighting. The bigger neutered male has nipped at the female but not being aggressive. Do I continue supervised bonding time? How will I know when they have bonded? My plan is to make there two seperate enclosures into one big one when I know they have bonded and are ready for that.

Attachments

• 20200707_195000.jpg
    20200707_195000.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200713_185941.jpg
    20200713_185941.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200716_182725.jpg
    20200716_182725.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 1
I would continue with the supervised bonding time as ordinarily there should be no nipping (if there is it should be more used for communication rather than dominance or aggressiveness) between a bonded pair. You should know they are bonded once the nipping dies down and they are snuggling and grooming one another and acting as they would in their individual enclosures (looking relaxed and unfazed by the other's company).

Once you think they're ready and can give them long periods of time together with minimal nips you can put them in an area where they can stay the night. It would be great if you could supervise them overnight (sleeping next to them so you wake up if they get in a scrap) but I understand its quite an inconvenience. If they make it through the night or 2 with no scraps then you can officially call them bonded. Good Luck!

Two nights without scraps is a bit early, still. You need to get your girl spayed too, as she is sure to be showing future dominance and agression when her hormones decide to join in on the game. She is quite young now and is getting along with him but it is sure to change. I wouldn't even try bonding right now, just supervised time together is good enough until she's fixed and healed.

Two nights without scraps is a bit early, still. You need to get your girl spayed too, as she is sure to be showing future dominance and agression when her hormones decide to join in on the game. She is quite young now and is getting along with him but it is sure to change. I wouldn't even try bonding right now, just supervised time together is good enough until she's fixed and healed.

I agree with Catlyn (I misread the fact that she was not spayed) that in the long term it will be better to spay her and then bond them. As it will make it easier in the bonding process, will be better for her health and if you were planning to spay her in the future you won't risk ruining their bond once her scent changes after the operation.

After 'considering them bonded' you will of course have to monitor them once they're back in their permanent home as the change of location may start territory disputes. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back