bonding for 3?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bonded pair of female rabbits, one is 3 yrs. old and she is spayed. The other is 2 yrs. old and not spayed. They are very happy together and get along perfectly. (they have been together since the younger one was 3 months old, so about 2 years) I had another pair that was bonded (both not spayed); but, I had to split them up for health reasons. My oldest is almost 10 and I had to split her and her 2 yr. old partner up as my older girl has very bad arthritis in her hind legs and couldn't keep up with her mate anymore.

I am wondering if I can try to bond the 2 yr. old with the bonded pair? I know she is lonely now. I have them in x-pens side by side (the formerly bonded pair) so they can at least see each other and "kiss" through the bars. But, my youngest seems heart broken that she can't play with her anymore.
I have read that putting a third one in with a bonded pair can break the bond; but, I have also read success stories. Does anyone have a bonded trio? Did you use bonding techniques typically used in bonding two? I really don't want to get a fifth one so she can have a mate; but, I feel bad for her as she is now alone. Do I move her away from her ex-partner and near the bonded pair so they can get know each other? Or, do I keep her as a lone rabbit?

Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

It really does depend on the individual personalities of the rabbits. At the same time, it is true that introducing a 3rd rabbit to an existing pair does risk the breakup of the original pair. It is generally better to have 3 stranger rabbits to try to create a trio.

The fact that 2 are already bonded and 2 of these 3 are still intact only increases the chances for upset. If you are ok with any of the possible outcomes of this attempt, then you might as well try. The possible outcomes are [A] for all three to get along, the original two break up and only one bonds with the 3rd rabbit (still leaving one rabbit left out), [C] or all 3 decide to not get along (ie. the original pair also breaks up and all 3 are now single). If you are not ok with any of those outcomes, then you'll have to decide whether to just keep her single or get her another bondmate (in a totally different area of the house).

thank you for your response "Blue Eyes". I value your opinion.

I think I am going to keep my lone rabbit alone for now. I don't want to chance breaking the bond of the other two. They are best friends and do not want to disturb a good thing. My husband would also kill me if I brought home another rabbit.

My oldest is really my highest priority right now and has to be. She needs extra care with her arthritis and I need to be there for her.

Thank you again for your help. I think I just needed to hear it laid out as you did.

Latest posts

Back