Bonding fixed with unfixed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillary

Reaction score
I have a unfixed male that’s about 1 year old and I also have a fixed female that’s 7 months. I really want to bond them but have been reading posts and am now just looking for a experienced opinion, please help!!! They are both really calm and have never shown any aggression before.

The problem isn't usually aggression with male rabbits towards a female rabbit, it's the incessant humping that usually occurs with unneutered males. The other rabbit eventually gets fed up with it, which will usually result in a fight breaking out. Sometimes it will work to bond an unspayed female with a neutered male rabbit as females are usually a little less hormonally driven, but it would be unusual for it to work with a spayed female and unneutered male.

Unless your male rabbit shows absolutely no hormonal behaviors(or at least very little), like trying to continually hump her, it's doubtful it would work out. And if you were to try it and it resulted in a fight breaking out, this could lessen your chances of having them bond successfully once he is neutered. My suggestion would be to get him neutered, wait 4-8 weeks for hormones to fade, then attempt bonding. Be aware that even neutered, it's no guarantee they will be compatible and bond, though usually male/female combination does have the best chance of bonding.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

This *might* be controversial, but ill tell my own story with bonding. I have a neutered male bunny, Peanut, and we really wanted to find him a friend! We found this adorable baby hotot and the rescue agreed to try to bond them while we were on vacation. For them, it was love at first sight! Cuddling, flopping, licking! She was unspayed. It's been about 8 months since then and we recently got her spayed. Peanut my first bunny was fine with her being the dominant one so that's what I believe made this bond work. So id say it's possible, but try to have an appointment made and have a backup enclosure in case things don't work. But this is my own experience and I am not an expert, so just take my story as needed. :)

I have an intact buck and spayed doe as house bunnies. Humping isn't the big problem, Dotty is a very patient girl and just hops away - she has places where he can't bother her, but it's not that often that he tries. Spraying is more of an issue, have to mop up after him once or twice a week.

This is my second buck with this doe, here's the thread about the first one:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...bond-with-intact-buck-what-to-consider.92855/

I have a unfixed male that’s about 1 year old and I also have a fixed female that’s 7 months. I really want to bond them but have been reading posts and am now just looking for a experienced opinion, please help!!! They are both really calm and have never shown any aggression before.
I have a unspayed female with my neutered male and they do just fine together. I say go for it and if it doesn’t work out you can always separate them.

I had a spayed female long time ago that I tried to bond to an unneutered male. The day I found her sitting in a flower pot to get away from his constant humping is the day I scheduled him for his neuter.

I now have a test that I highly recommend: get a stuffy for your male bun (all my bunnies have gotten one anyway and cuddle with their stuffy even after being bonded). See what the male does to the stuffy. If you want, you can even rub the stuffy over the female's fur first.

I used this test with an unneutered stray I took in a month ago, since he was so good with his litter box and wasn't showing any “romantic” signs or spraying, so I thought I might not have to neuter him. I had to take the stuffy away because he was wearing himself out humping and biting it and getting more and more agitated. He is now scheduled for a neuter in April before he gets introduced to my others.

Latest posts

Back