Bonding Bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or knowledge about getting a second rabbit. I have been wanting to adopt a second rabbit from my local rabbit rescue for a while now and I have been thinking about doing it when I graduate from college this spring. However, I've heard conflicting advice about bonding rabbits. I've heard some rabbit owners say that having more than one rabbit is almost essential to a bunny's happiness and well being and that bonding a pair will improve their life experience. On the conflicting side, my local rabbit rescue advises that some bunnies who have more dominant personality traits should not be attempted to be bonded with other rabbits. I've been thinking about getting a second rabbit because I worry about my bunny getting lonely when I'm not at home with her, but if their personality is a contributing factor to how well bunnies will bond, I don't know how to assess hers. I would also just really love the opportunity to rescue another rabbit. I want to provide for my rabbit the best I can and if bunnies do truly benefit from having a friend this is something I would want to to give her eventually but I don't want to bring another rabbit into our lives just for both bunnies to end up unhappy or hurt due to fighting. My bunny is spayed so I know that won't be an issue. What do you guys think? Would a second rabbit be beneficial? Can anyone share on what the bonding process is like? Since my bunny is female would it be easier to bond her with a male? Thanks!

Love that you’re considering adopting another rabbit! I was in the same situation- I felt so bad leaving my single bunny alone all day. Male/female bonds are usually the best/easiest. Your rabbit will probably love to have a friend and if she is spayed I doubt dominance will be a huge issue. My rabbit is so much happier since he got a friend- much more outgoing and adventurous and loving. What you can do is bring your bunny to the shelter and allow her to meet with several male rabbits. This is called dating. You will be able to see if she has a strong connection to any of the rabbits. Look into good signs of bunny dating and see if she exhibits any. If she does then you should choose that rabbit because they’ll have an easier bonding. If she fights with all of the rabbits then maybe she has a dominant personality and is best left alone. One thing to keep in mind is that during the bonding process you’ll need a neutral territory to bond them in and they may have to live separately for a while. Bonding takes time and patience but it is so worth it in the end!

Latest posts

Back