Bonding bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briennap

Reaction score
I was looking into getting another bun for my two year old unspayed Rex and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on best ways to bond them, if I could get a spayed bun to bond her with or if I should wait to get her spayed etc...

Also if they should be closer to the same age or if that doesn't matter

I was looking into getting another bun for my two year old unspayed Rex and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on best ways to bond them, if I could get a spayed bun to bond her with or if I should wait to get her spayed etc...

Also if they should be closer to the same age or if that doesn't matter
--I don,t think age is a big factor as long as they both are under 5yr.--a big factor for bonding is do they fight-??-this is a clue something is wrong.!-bunz can and will kill,-perhaps a double fence-whereas they can observe each other,smelling,etc.-(no touching),--when reaching puberty -(about 5mo.)-males will fight to the death,--females can get extremely territorial,--been there done that-with both!--there are medical-benefits -(longevity)-to having them fixed also,--i.e.-uteran ,testostical,cancer,etc..,--a very merry xmas,-god bless everyone,--sincerely james waller I pray for world peace,-- http://www.medirabbit.com or the R.O.L.library or http://www.bunnybunch.org/rabbitcare1.html --:pray::dutch:bunny16

It's a bad idea to bond rabbits that are unfixed.

The only time I've heard of this working is sisters who were never separated and didn't start fighting at puberty for some reason.

You should fix your rabbit if you plan on getting another one.

It's a bad idea to bond rabbits that are unfixed.

The only time I've heard of this working is sisters who were never separated and didn't start fighting at puberty for some reason.

You should fix your rabbit if you plan on getting another one.

Okay thanks 😀 I was unsure about that too and yeah I've looked into getting her fixed and in my area I only really found around $700 so I'm gonna plan on doing that around early February

Okay thanks 😀 I was unsure about that too and yeah I've looked into getting her fixed and in my area I only really found around $700 so I'm gonna plan on doing that around early February

You might want to call a local rabbit rescue to ask for a vet reference. I'm sure they don't pay $700 for a spay. You may not get it as low as they do, but they could direct you to a vet who won't charge so much.

$700 is absurd. My vet was a little on the high side and I still only paid $465 or so for two spays. You'd be better off driving a couple hours away than paying that much!

Here's a thread that lists low-cost spay/neuter options for rabbits. Failing that, you can check our database of rabbit-savvy vets for one that's a little further away.

Also, the best place to get the second bunny is through a rabbit-savvy shelter (or rescue) that allows bunny dates with their adoptable bunnies (and will also almost certainly allow you to return/exchange the new rabbit if the bond just doesn't work) - you could find a shelter to go through for the new bunny, then explain that you need to get your current bunny spayed before you can adopt a companion for her and ask them if they can recommend any good, reasonably priced options. Heck, there's a chance you could get the spay done through the shelter at an affordable price if you're also adopting a second bunny from them since.

I would specifically mention to the shelter that your vet wants to charge $700 for a spay, as that amount is so unreasonable that it's virtually guaranteed to garner sympathy... not to mention, it indicates that you're asking for help finding a low-cost alternative because your vet is on crack, NOT because you're having trouble affording it (something a shelter could find concerning when you're also looking to take on a second exotic animal).

At the very least, it never hurts to ask! (And seriously, don't pay $700 - that's so outrageous it makes me wonder if the vet is trying to deter people from getting their bunnies spayed there because they're not entirely comfortable with doing the procedure... and even if that isn't the case, I doubt they find many people paying that price which means the vet won't have as much recent experience as someone more affordable.)

Exactly my point, you'd think they would make it a little more reasonable since it's important to spay girls for so many different reasons including pregnancy (which of course I would never) but the people who leave unwanted buns outside. And you're all also right I've been super busy with work and preparing for the holidays I only had a chance to really call that one place and I'm not sure but I've tried looking for rabbit rescues like I said I've been super busy but I know I don't have any locally. All are atleast in mass or Rhode Island and I'm located right in the middle - Connecticut.

Does anyone know of any rabbit rescues in ct that I'm just not seeing? I also wanted to make sure to get someone who's actually going to care for her and not just treat her like a random animal you know? So that's why I called that vet office and yeah they gave me the estimate around $700.

$700 is absurd. My vet was a little on the high side and I still only paid $465 or so for two spays. You'd be better off driving a couple hours away than paying that much!

Here's a thread that lists low-cost spay/neuter options for rabbits. Failing that, you can check our database of rabbit-savvy vets for one that's a little further away.

Also, the best place to get the second bunny is through a rabbit-savvy shelter (or rescue) that allows bunny dates with their adoptable bunnies (and will also almost certainly allow you to return/exchange the new rabbit if the bond just doesn't work) - you could find a shelter to go through for the new bunny, then explain that you need to get your current bunny spayed before you can adopt a companion for her and ask them if they can recommend any good, reasonably priced options. Heck, there's a chance you could get the spay done through the shelter at an affordable price if you're also adopting a second bunny from them since.

I would specifically mention to the shelter that your vet wants to charge $700 for a spay, as that amount is so unreasonable that it's virtually guaranteed to garner sympathy... not to mention, it indicates that you're asking for help finding a low-cost alternative because your vet is on crack, NOT because you're having trouble affording it (something a shelter could find concerning when you're also looking to take on a second exotic animal).

At the very least, it never hurts to ask! (And seriously, don't pay $700 - that's so outrageous it makes me wonder if the vet is trying to deter people from getting their bunnies spayed there because they're not entirely comfortable with doing the procedure... and even if that isn't the case, I doubt they find many people paying that price which means the vet won't have as much recent experience as someone more affordable.)

Yes I actually called another place who couldn't even tell me the prices of a bun neuter, that office was in Middletown ct and she referred me to the $700 dr in massachusettes. But anyways, she was going on about how it's not even necessary to spay buns and all I was thinking was like how is this lady a vet lol there are so many benefits including longering their life span which that alone is a good enough reason I know I want my bun alive as long as possible!!

Low-Cost Connecticut Spay & Neuter Clinics
(source (very bottom of the page))

(Sorted by Zip Code.)

Hartford County - Granby, CT 06035
Salmon Brook Veterinary Hospital 860-653-7238

Tolland County - Tolland, CT 06084
Kitty Angels 860-875-1808

Hartford County - Newington, CT 06111
Connecticut Humane Society 860-667-8545

Middlesex County - Westbrook, CT 06498
Tait's Every Animal Matters 888-367-8326

New Haven County - New Haven 06506
Greater New Haven Cat Project 203-782-2287

New Haven County - New Haven 06512
The Hope Alliance 203-466-2185

New Haven County - Seymour 06512
Rehab-A-Cat 203-888-2279

New Haven County - New Haven, Connecticut 06515
Rehab-A-Cat 203-787-5532

New Haven County - Hamden, Connecticut 06518
Creature Kindness 203-389-2242

Litchfield County - Torrington, Connecticut 06790
Statewide Veterinary Clinic 888-613-2034

Fairfield County - Danbury, CT 06810
Help for Pets 203-792-1477

Fairfield County - Danbury, Connecticut 06813
The Danbury Animal Welfare Society, Inc. 203-744-3297

~~~~~

I
also found this list of vets who reported that they treat rabbits - http://hopline.org/PDFs/HRC_Vets_March 2013.pdf

And this site has 43 results for vets in CT who treat "rabbits, ferrets and sugar gliders" and also do spay/neuter surgeries... no guarantee that they all spay rabbits as the search results don't double-check the spaying/neutering thing against the species thing, I don't think (so it's possible that some may treat rabbits but only spay cats/dogs).

~~~~~

If you'd like to PM me your zipcode or city, I could do some calling/emailing around to help you out since you're so busy - I can spare a bit of time to investigate, since your schedule is so jam-packed :)

Also, if you'd like, I can contact the 3bunnies rescue to see what vet or clinic they recommend (assuming you're near or willing to travel to the East Hartford area, as that's where they are) - I was actually chatting with someone from that rescue the other day via e-mail that I bet I could get a good answer out of.

Yes I would appreciate that very much as long as it's not out of your way to contact them! Because I was very interested in looking into getting her spayed at the same shelter I got my new adopted as well, considering whichever bun I would get there would be spayed by them as well. And then I could bring her on bunny dates and have her spayed the same day! Thanks so much for all the help you've done so far, and I'm in the 06241 CT zip code region, really close to mass maybe 5 exits away. And yes I'm willing to travel anywhere that can handle buns well, very experienced, and had a nice reputation. It would be so devastating if something as simple as a spay killed her just because she went to an inexperienced dr!!

Between the holiday, Thursday being my birthday and now the weekend, I haven't gotten around to calling places... I'll try to get to it Monday or Tuesday, though :).

Hi everyone, was only searching through for a bit of advice on bonding our bunnies but was amazed by how much vets charge for fixing your rabbits! In England they charge as little as £35. How do they justify charging you so much?

Heh, supply and demand, I guess. Rabbit-savvy vets are far more common in England than in the US and rabbit-related veterinary science is more advanced (both presumably because rabbits are more common pets over there).

I'm in Australia and called around quite a few places about having my buns fixed. The lowest price for a vet I'm actually comfortable with was $245 for girls and $175 for boys. Higher than I originally expected but worth it for a good vet (they gave me heaps of info on rabbits and how it all works when I called, even though I wasn't booking) and certainly a lot better than $700!!!

I think when looking for rabbit savvy vets, a good question to ask is "how long before the operation should I fast my rabbit?" If they say anything that isn't "no, don't do that, they can't vomit and their guts need to constantly move!" then you don't really want them touching your bunny...

Keep in mind, that question needs to be asked directly to the vet - not all receptionists have a clue ><

Latest posts

Back