Bonding Bunnies and Cats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoggy

Reaction score
I have two 9 year old house rabbits... Bonded neutered sisters. We now also have two 6 month old kittens which we rescued from a farm. They were very sick and we have had to quarantine them (ringworm, cat flu, ear mite and eye infections) We are almost ringworm free and I would like to try and introduce the cats to the rabbits as soon as I get the all clear from vet next week.

The rabbits are quite large so I think the kittens are naturally cautious yet curious. I think that the rabbits know that the cats are predators so they are likely to remain nervous, especially as the kitchen /dining area is the rabbits territory.

I have seen a bonded cat and rabbit. We also had a friendly neighbours cat that used to sit with our rabbits in the garden while they grazed freely.

I am hoping that if our pets do not at least become companions that they will tolerate eachother. I can't imagine that the cats would want to attack as they know the rabbits share their home (and they were there first) The rabbits are capable of going for the cats and can show plenty of aggression w charging/stomping/biting...

Does anyone please have any direct experience and bonding advice tips please before I start? Can I let the animals find their own way with eachother if I start with supervised introductions...

Thanks

Definitely start supervised. I don’t think it’ll be an issue if they’re big rabbits and small kittens. Plus if the rabbits are free roam then kittens will see that the rabbits too are pets and not to be attacked. Plus they’ll grow up around the rabbits knowing that they’re no better than the rabbits and the rabbits are no better than them

Thank you. The kittens are huge as it happens but rabbits look big. Meadow sticks her ears out like a bull and gallops towards the kittens and they scatter very quickly. Willow her sister unfortunately just hides when she knows the cats are around. I hope once the bunnies realise that the cats are not going to attack or are after their food then hopefully they should learn to live together...

Latest posts

Back