Bonding brothers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bree1699

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So a few months ago I adopted two baby rabbits that are both boys. I got them at 4 weeks (I didn't know that they were so young or that this was bad at the time) and I didn't understand all the work that goes into bonding and caring for rabbits but im trying my best!

Anyways, my two boys are about 11 weeks now and their hormones are kicking in. They haven't been fighting yet but they have been humping each other A LOT so I know it's time to separate them. The thing is, despite the humping, they get along great. I know this might change as the hormones continue to develop but would it be okay to keep them in separate cages side by side so that they could stay familiar with one another? Any advice is more than welcome!

Hi, I had same situation, when they just started humping I separated brothers completely so they couldn't see each other or smell each other, they immediately stopped spraying and showing their hormones, then I neutered them and after 2 months after that they rebonded instantly.

If yours are now 11 weeks I would suggest making appointments for neutering now (check if their testicles fully dropped yet, anyway you will probably need to wait for your appointment a couple weeks or a month so do in advance). Also ask your vet they often offer better price when you bring two rabbits same day you might get 10% off or something, depending on your vets but I know many vets practice that just ask.

It is best to separate them now before they start fighting.
I find that keeping two young intact males side by side makes them nervous and they still spray a lot marking their walls, when they can't see any other rabbit around they calm down and being nice and sweet. But I spray my hands and clothes with 5% vinegar after holding them to make sure I don't smell like another rabbit, otherwise they'd pee on me or get nervous or could even bite, that depends on your individual rabbit.

At 11 weeks there's no guarantee that they will rebond after neutering, it is very likely since they like each other now but they are still very young and in a few weeks it can change dramatically. But I would try. It is important to wait after neutering before reintroducing them, sometimes 8 weeks is not enough but also if they were neutered at a very young age it can be easier for them since they don't have much to forget. That's why I would keep them completely separately, because one solo boy won't see any competitors around so he will stay calmer and won't have need of spraying territory and all so don't feel bad about separating them now, their friendship won't last long anyway, and best separating before they start fighting because it may be more difficult for them to forget that. Now if separated for 2-3 months they will completely forget each other and you will introduce them to each other as completely new rabbits, but they may feel sympathy to each other and may remember positive things about each other and will rebond quickly. But no guarantee.

Anyway, good luck and please keep us updated. As I said my brothers rebonded really quickly after a few months spent separately.

Last edited:
i had this problem with Patch and Pebbles, I seperated them after a few fights. then got them done when the time come.

Im not an expert but im sure when you seperate you have to do the re-introducion thing all over again.

Dont quote me on that tho.

I bonded patch and pebbles again, well after the op, but pebbles continually bullies patch, ripped his fur out and continally kept fighting, so with that they are permantly seperated.

Latest posts

Back