Bonding boys!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleandThumper

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm just wondering if there's any difference between bonding 2 boys (neutered of course) or make and female. The boy I have now is a neutered 5 month old dwarf and in about a months time I'll be getting a 2 month old mini rex male, of course the mini rex won't be neutered because he will be too young but he will be neutered as soon as he's old enough and when our vet gives us the okay. But will all the bonding methods apply as the same. Will there be fights since the mini rex will be a baby what're some of your tips for bonding the boys?

Oh my. This can be the difficult way to go. Ideally, you would take your neutered boy to meet some already fixed rabbits (male or female) to see which looks promising.

With babies, you always run the risk that they will begin fighting when hormones kick in. An adult rabbit (your current one) may get along with a baby, but that's not considered a true bond. Once those hormones come in, then all can change. It isn't until after he's fixed that a true bond can be made (or attempted anyway).

The other risk is that after neutering, they simply may not bond. Male/male bonds are generally considered the most difficult. Male/female the least difficult. (all fixed, of course)

You could get lucky and they may get along after both are neutered. Yet you'll also need to be prepared for the possibility that they won't bond and then would have to remain apart.

If there's anyway to let your boy bunny date some already fixed rabbits, that would be an easier road to take. Most rescues will also work with you so that if a potential bondmate simply isn't working, they will allow an exchange to ensure you end up with a successful bond for your boy.

The problem with that is I am in a very small town where purebred rabbits are let alone very hard to find but neutered or spayed rabbits are just nearly impossible to find since not a lot of people around breed rabbits unless it's for strict meat use. I've checked all the shelters around the area expanding to about 2 hours outside my area and no rabbits at all came up in shelters so that would be out of the question. And there's only one vet that does spaying in my town and she charges 245 for spaying and 140 for a neuter but the vet I took Thumper to charges 95 for a neuter but he won't do spaying because he doesn't want to run the risk of complications so money is also a factor of choosing a male. There's also the temperament, the breeder says that all her bucks have great tempers and they haven't shown any aggression and that she would never breed aggressive rabbits. So getting a female is probably out of the question too. So I need a way that the two boys can bond enough that they can be in the same cage

Not sure how to start a new thread but I hope someone can answer my question quickly (sorry for hijacking this thread) how much is spaying normally? My local vet is asking for $400 and doesn't recommend spaying because it's a risky procedure. Does anyone know what the average spaying cost is?

The problem with that is I am in a very small town where purebred rabbits are let alone very hard to find but neutered or spayed rabbits are just nearly impossible to find since not a lot of people around breed rabbits unless it's for strict meat use. I've checked all the shelters around the area expanding to about 2 hours outside my area and no rabbits at all came up in shelters so that would be out of the question. And there's only one vet that does spaying in my town and she charges 245 for spaying and 140 for a neuter but the vet I took Thumper to charges 95 for a neuter but he won't do spaying because he doesn't want to run the risk of complications so money is also a factor of choosing a male. There's also the temperament, the breeder says that all her bucks have great tempers and they haven't shown any aggression and that she would never breed aggressive rabbits. So getting a female is probably out of the question too. So I need a way that the two boys can bond enough that they can be in the same cage

It's not all that common that your generic (dog/cat) shelter will carry rabbits. A rabbit rescue is exclusive to rabbits and they are just about everywhere. What state do you live in? What part (North, South,etc) Maybe we can help you find one.

As I said before, there is no guarantee with bonding and especially not with bonding boys. They both need to be neutered to increase their chances of bonding. But, there is the possibility that they won't get along. If they MUST be in the same cage, then it may not be a good idea to get a 2nd rabbit unless you are prepared to house them separately if things don't go as hoped.

Not sure how to start a new thread but I hope someone can answer my question quickly (sorry for hijacking this thread) how much is spaying normally? My local vet is asking for $400 and doesn't recommend spaying because it's a risky procedure. Does anyone know what the average spaying cost is?

Spaying costs can vary wildly depending on vet and location. If your vet is charging that much AND saying it's risky, then he doesn't sound very rabbit savvy. With an experienced vet, the risks of a spay are minimal.

There are many vets that claim to know rabbits but don't truly. Rabbits are quite unique and finding a rabbit knowledgeable vet is important. Rabbit.org has lists of vets by state. Alternatively, you can google a local rabbit rescue, then calll and ask for a vet reference (if they don't have some listed on their site).

Spaying costs can vary wildly depending on vet and location. If your vet is charging that much AND saying it's risky, then he doesn't sound very rabbit savvy. With an experienced vet, the risks of a spay are minimal.

There are many vets that claim to know rabbits but don't truly. Rabbits are quite unique and finding a rabbit knowledgeable vet is important. Rabbit.org has lists of vets by state. Alternatively, you can google a local rabbit rescue, then calll and ask for a vet reference (if they don't have some listed on their site).

I went on Rabbit.org and found a vet in my area with lots of good reviews. He (or she I'm not sure) replied to my email quickly and seems to know a lot about rabbits but is asking for over $600?!? I suppose I'll ask rescues but I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged. If I have to go to the first vet I will because it is a bit more affordable but I won't if I don't have to. Thanks for replying.

I went on Rabbit.org and found a vet in my area with lots of good reviews. He (or she I'm not sure) replied to my email quickly and seems to know a lot about rabbits but is asking for over $600?!? I suppose I'll ask rescues but I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged. If I have to go to the first vet I will because it is a bit more affordable but I won't if I don't have to. Thanks for replying.

$600 is utterly outrageous for a spay! $400 was also crazy.

To start a new thread, click this link:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/

Then look for the "New Thread" button on the left side and click that. From there you can start a new thread. You can title it something like "Looking for reasonable spay cost" and then put in details in the message portion.

Hopefully other members can offer you some details or may know of a vet in your vicinity.

Two fixed males that lived together can start fighting over the smallest issues, and had to be separated for the rest of their lives (one lived upstairs and the other lived downstairs). They did get along with two other female rabbits, but that was only when they took turns being in the room by themselves.
In Edmonton, Canada, a spay costs around $250.

$600 is utterly outrageous for a spay! $400 was also crazy.

To start a new thread, click this link:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/

Then look for the "New Thread" button on the left side and click that. From there you can start a new thread. You can title it something like "Looking for reasonable spay cost" and then put in details in the message portion.

Hopefully other members can offer you some details or may know of a vet in your vicinity.

Thank you very much! Now I can stop hijacking other peoples posts XD

Bonding male bunnies is not impossible and on here there are several owners who have bonded male rabbits. I have three boys who´ve had their issues over time but live together quite happily. With any bond, personalities can be a big part as you usually have a dominant and a submissive in each pair and they have to work out which is which. I wouldn´t say that bonding two boys is impossible but you will need to wait until both are mature and neutered before attempting this. Mine lived together since babies but when puberty hit and I had them neutered, I had to rebond them before they could live together. If you decide on your two boys, then there are lots of other people on here experienced with the bonding process and who would be happy to give advice. You will just need to start a thread when you are ready. However, if you had access to a rescue, it would probably be much easier to go and see if there was a bunny friend there for you boy.

Wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Latest posts

Back