Bonding between two young bucks (brothers)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If two brothers are brought up together and will be neutered when they are old enough, will they be able to get along. How about caging together. I had two males that I could put together in the exercise area and they didn't fight necessarily, but I had to keep an eye on one of them if they were left together too long. They were not brothers. I also have three does (spayed). Will that make a difference?

Also, if we put one of the males out with the female and then put him back in the cage with the other male would they fight. I am just trying to decide ifI should just get one buck ortwo bucks because of limited spacefor housing.Can anyone give me any ideas by Friday. Thank you.

One buck. (Ok...maybe depends upon breed).

I had Kyo & Tio - Netherland dwarf bucks. Adorable - cuddled together......slept together (with Tiny even)...just little sweeties.

Yeah...until they "dropped" their parts. Talk about wanting to kill each other....

So we got all 3 bucks neutered (that was my plan anyway) and Kyo and Tio did what Robin would all the "pee-propelled ballet of the inept". They'd jump at each other - spraying the whole time. You'd know when they were about to jump - you'd see the spray coming first....it was hilarious - and messy - and frustrating.

They did fine in separate cages that were back to back - but we never did manage to get them to have playtime together (much) without an eventual tussle.

Last month I found Kyo a better home, per Robin's request. I understand he is MUCH happier now. Tio seems to miss him as they had finally learned to get along as long as they couldn't touch each other...but Tio doesn't seem to miss him THAT much.

So I'd go with one buck.

Peg

In what I've researched, like Peg said, males will fight upon dropping testies. So will 2 females. A male and female is your best bet normally, but that doesn't mean you couldn't bond 2 bucks or 2 does. It just depends. How much you work w/ them, their personality and their dominance. Until you try, after neutering/spaying and waiting approximately a month to 2 months then trying, it's hard to say. It is possible though. :D

I haven't had any personal experience w/ 2 bucks/2 females though, I just know it is possible.

The bunnies I bunnysat earlier this month were two males -- a neutered lop and an unneutered 4 or 5 month old mini-rex mix-- and they got along great from the get-go(other than the little guy spraying his pen mates constantly). :yuck They were also sharing with an olderspayed mini-rex girl.She was the only aggressor, but shewasn't too bad at all.

sas :)

SAS, the one you see in my av is Angel, you prob already know that, but she was the instigator when trying dates w/ her and BunBun, bad. So, I chilled w/ that, he's passed.

Now I'm trying (not too often w/ a male/lop neutered.) They seem to get along other than her aggression while he is out and near her cage. :kiss1:

I had 2 half brothers together from about 3-4 months of age and they were neutered around 4-6 months. When the youngest was 11 months old, they started fighting one day out of the blue, there was hair everywhere but luckily I was homethat day to split it up before they got hurt.

But they have never been able to be put back together since. If my oldest buck so much as smells the other one, he starts chasing and fighting with the doe he's bonded to.

It's hard to bond 2 males and it rarely works out but that's not to say it's impossible.

It is possible but can be a lot of work. I have two bucks and a doe that share a cage (large, we built it) and they all get along fine. Actually, it was my doe that was kicking one of the buck's butt, so I had to go through this whole bonding thing with them. If you want specifics, feel free to PM me. :)

I think I had a pretty good success story with two bucks :).

I had to live with my in-laws for a while a couple of years ago, and while there I adopted a 4 month old boy, Ben. A few weeks later my mother in law adopted a little 6 week old buck (mixed breed), Sam. They didn't really interact till Sam was older, and they were fine till Sam hit puberty and all hell broke loose.

Sam would attack Ben with no mercy and poor Ben didn't know what to think, he still loved Sam.

Sam got neutered and didn't see Ben much for two weeks while he was recovering. After that 2 weeks we let them see eachother...and heaved a sigh of relief as they snuggled and binkied with joy.

Ben was neutered not long after and they lived in perfect harmony until I moved out (left Ben behind, I couldn't part him from Sam) and Ben died of a really bad infection.

DSC02756.jpg

DSC02466.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

:bunnydance:

I want to thank everyone for the quick reply. I figured that would be the response, but I was hoping I was wrong.You were lucky in New Zealand, but I am not sure where I would house the other rabbit if they don't get along. I just now started to attempted to bond two of the spayed females (two mini lops, ages 2 and 3). Right now, they seem to run away from each other. They don't know what to think. I have been afraid to put them together after my one holland lop rabbit (she was spayed at this time) went after the other female that she had lived with until puberty hit. Fawn (holland lop) has the "I am top bunny" mind set. She wouldn't attack Trouble, but would want to continously ride his head to show who is boss. She has calmed down considerably with us, however, last time I had her out with the male, she still chased him. Anyway, I will keep thinking about what I want to do. My brain tells me that I should only get one, but my heart wants both.

i am about to adopt 2 bucks, father and son that are very happy together, both neutered and have been happy for about 2 years so it is possible, i'm hoping it is possible too because i have 3 buck brothers that i want to live together for good, wish me luck lol

:bunnydance:Well, I have adopted two young bucks(brothers). They are two young to neuter yet, I have to waitanother month. As of now, the first day they have beentogether (after being separated for a week - a long story), they aregetting along. Should I be putting them in separate cageswhen I am not home. I am hoping to get them both neutered assoon as possible, before their hormones start raging. The onemale was showing some behavior of dominance by riding him. Ifyou have any more thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

It is very easy to make 2 young males get along.If they are too young to neuter, then that is why it was so easy. I'dbe very cautious keeping them together when you're not home. Things canchange in the blink of an eye and I'd hate for something to happen whenyou aren't home. Perhaps allow them out to run when you can superviseand house them in cages side by side but I definitely think it's a muchsafer idea to keep them apart when you are not around -- keep in mindthat neutering is not a miracle fix and it doesn't mean they wont stillfight when they get older.

Good luck though, I hope your bonding endeavour end better than mind did.

Thank you so much. In fact I have onesitting with me right now, because they were chasing each otherstail. I plan on putting one of the them in a separate cage,since I don't have another cage to put both of them in at thismoment. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

You seem to have had your question pretty wellanswered, but I thought I'd add something in - Not all unneutered malesfight. It's pretty rare for them not to, but my friend had two males(first they were both females, then one female one male, now both males:shock:) which did not fight at all. There was a little bit of ... erm... mounting, but not very much. But it is much easier to gettwo neutered males to bond.

Rachel.

Can i just say after reading this thread...Bummer! I wanted to keep 3 brothers together, well that isn't going tohappen is it? lol so here i go planning my hutches again!

I adopted Bandit from my friend because him andhis brother constantly faught. They were together sincebabies. She thought neutering them would help, so sheneutered them both, but that didn't help AT ALL. So thats whyI adopted Bandit. He gets along great with the little doe Ibrought him last month though.

Latest posts

Back