Bonding and spaying issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eurydice2003

Reaction score
Hi all!
I’m new here so I’m not sure how the forum works but I figured I’d try it out. I have one rabbit named Eurydice who I rescued from my neighbors two years ago as they had moved out of their house but left her caged with no food or water in the middle of summer. She has a lot of behavioral issues that we’re working on and she has made a ton of progress (she even cuddles now!) but this past week, my other rabbit whom I’ve had for ten years passed away and they were bonded. She had cuddled with him for 12+ hours after he passed and before we buried him we let her say goodbyes. She honestly has not given us anything to be worried about, she seems very much so okay and has been very kind to me in helping me to move on. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what to look out for should she start showing depression symptoms or anything? She’s still eating and using the litter box but she has started digging. Not sure if it’s just because she’s bored now though.

Another issue I have with her is a bit bigger. I’m not quite sure how old she is but my best guess is between three or four. She is a pet store bunny from what her previous owners have said and she is a lion head mixed with something else. We have tried to get her spayed almost a year and a half ago but her heart rate dropped down below 50 bpm once the vet put her under so he refused to do the surgery. I’m well aware that female rabbits are extremely likely to develop tumors if not spayed but as I’ve said, I can’t spay her without a risk of her dying. The vet didn’t provide me with any other options. Is there any other way to prevent tumors from developing?
Thank you!

I am usually one to shout out the benefits of spaying from the rooftops and recommend it highly, however, in your case I think it is likely not worth the risk to pursue with this bunny. I think your vet made a really good call and I really respect him for making that call. While, yes there is an increased risk in tumors, it is not enough of an increased risk that I would let it plague your every moment with her. It sounds like she's in good hands, and you are taking good care of her health in all other ways. I can't think of nor have I heard any preventative methods for preventing tumors beyond spaying and feeding a healthy diet.

I am not one who has enough experience to feel like the best source on rabbit grieving and depression, so I'm gonna leave that to someone who does. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back