bonding an intact male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat1234

Reaction score
so i have a senior bun who is still intact
over quarantine i ended up getting another male (a bit unexpected lol)
the younger male is fixed and i'm attempting to bond them (i'm prepared to seperate them if needed)
for now it's just been pre-bonding but i was wondering if i bond then what are the chances of them debonding down the road, and if the chances were high would it be possible to only allow them to be together when i'm home to supervise (and when i'm not home have them next to each other)
my senior bun is so sweet towards the younger one even tho he's not fixed (licking me after i pet the younger, zoomies and binkys since getting the new bunny, just spending all of him time looking at the younger bun and trying to interact)
i just wanted to hear your thoughts on it

I would get the senior bun neutered and wait 8 weeks after that. Age - if in good health - is not a problem, just go to a good rabbit vet.

In some cases leaving an elderly rabbit intact is better than proceeding with a surgery as often the risk gets higher as buns age.

In some cases leaving an elderly rabbit intact is better than proceeding with a surgery as often the risk gets higher as buns age.
Rescue centres neuter bunnies at any age. As long as there are no health problems and you have a good rabbit vet, age is not an issue.

I would get the senior bun neutered and wait 8 weeks after that. Age - if in good health - is not a problem, just go to a good rabbit vet.
i went to 2 vets and they didn't recommend it and i don't feel comfortable bc of the risk he'll die

If you are going to proceed with bonding make sure you watch them very carefully as if they fight your elderly bun could get stressed and that could lead to unnecessary health issues. Also how long ago was your younger bun fixed? Usually it takes around 2-3 months for the hormones to calm down, which means that if your bun hasn't had enough time for his hormones to calm down it could lead to fights.

Hope everything goes well <3

If you are going to proceed with bonding make sure you watch them very carefully as if they fight your elderly bun could get stressed and that could lead to unnecessary health issues. Also how long ago was your younger bun fixed? Usually it takes around 2-3 months for the hormones to calm down, which means that if your bun hasn't had enough time for his hormones to calm down it could lead to fights.

Hope everything goes well <3
he was fixed months ago

Latest posts

Back