Bonding an Aggressive bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm_Lover_With_Bunnies

Reaction score
Hello fellow bunny lovers!
So I have two bunnies that I’m trying to bond, one of which is aggressive. The aggressive bunny twilight, I’ve had since she was a kit and she is a silver fox bunny about 9 or 10 pounds, she was spayed about a year ago and she’s 3 years old now. She’s been food aggressive for a while now but it was getting better but now it’s way worse, she’s aggressive towards me even without food. She’s not like a crazy murder bunny she doesn’t bite me unless I’m moving around quickly with food and she can’t get it but she’ll either grunt and lunge at me or lay her ears back even when I walk around in the cage sometimes now. The other bunny, Oakley I got not to long ago, we found himon a trail and he was dumped there and once before so we decided to keep him. I’ve had him since January 2nd and he was fixed about a week after that. He’s a Mini lop, he’s 4lbs but I have no clue how old he is. The very end of January I started the bonding process by moving oakleys cage into the same room as twilights so they could see and smell each other but not touch and they were like that for a week. The next week I moved the cages closer so they found sniff and touch each other through the cage but were still separated and I was also switching there beds and blankets and they were like that for a week as well. This week I started trying to see how would would get along in a neutral space as far they had been doing very well. They would flop over in their cages (I’m assuming this means they were comfortable with each other) and would touch noses every now and then. I put them together in the bathroom with a hidey box and some veggies which I now know wasn’t the best thing to do. Twilight and Oakley were fine until twilight when in the box and Oakley came over and she grunted and tried to attack him but was stopped with a spray bottle. For the most part they ignored each other. The next day I put them in a laundry basket together and did the same thing the next day and they did fine but I only left them together for a few minutes as I was worried. Since the bathroom bonding session twilight has been biting oakleys feet and nose through the cage which I have now made it so they can’t touch each other again. Twilights aggressions with me has gotten worse as well. She lays her ears back when I go in the cage and will grunt or lunge even when I don’t have food when before it was just food. She’s never been with or around any other bunnies except for a short time at a fair and another failed bonding rabbit, they would fight unless it was a stressful situation. I’m wondering if she could just be a bunny who doesn’t get along with others? Oakley hasn’t even fought back at all in fact he kind of ignores her when she tries to bite him. How do I go about this? I’ve stopped bonding them Now, they are just in the same room different cages

Last edited:
So I decided to try to laundry basket this time again and they did perfect. I think I may be the issue lol. Twilight had her ears down for a lot of it but they were climbing over each other, Oakley was stuffing his face under her and she put her head over his once. She did nibble him on his head but I let it be instead of of stopping it and it was perfectly fine. How should I proceed with this? Will they ever be okay together because of twilights aggression?

I think what you are doing is good right now. Just if you ever see them fighting separate them quickly. It is possible to bond them you’ll just have to have patience.

So I’ve been bonding them in the laundry basket and they seem to do okay so I moved them into a slightly larger area but not much bigger, they could probably do one and a half hops and they just constantly fought, even bit me through the oven mitt!! I decided to take a small break and go back to switching stuff in their cage and keeping their cage so they can touch and smell each other but are still separated which I bought Oakley a cage like twilights with the bigger bars so it’s more open than the other cage was. However all twilight does is try to attack him like crazy through the bars and shell lay out right in front on the cage which I think is her saying this is my territory. She’s taking chunks of fur off Oakley and almost tore skin on his nose from biting him, Oakley fights back but not as bad as her and he usually runs off. Is it mean to even keep them next to each other since they fight so much now? Or would they be okay in the same room just unable to touch each other?

Latest posts

Back