Bonding advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MomtoBuns

Reaction score
Hello All!
My sweet girl passed away leaving behind my fixed mixed breed boy. I have been through the bonding process before but need some advice this time around. My boy was severely depressed and due to the pandemic there was no bunny dating ability through the rescue. I adopted an 8 week old girl too young to spay and will be dong so. she is a Flemish mix. Anyway, my boy is a very submissive bun. However this little one is definitely not! I have had her a little over 2 weeks now and his health and happiness is back! Just having another bun in proximity has done him a world of good! (I was So worried about his health) I have them separated of course own houses and own areas to roam. They show a lot of interest in each other and do not see any aggression. And they zoomie and bink to show off to each other. However... The 3 times I have introduced them she starts chasing and nipping his butt, immediately. The first time he immediately put his head down after they had a sniffing session. She in turn started chasing and nipping his butt. The second time they ate next to each other but I russled the bag of parsley and she freaked and attacked him and he did a hey cut it out and I split them up as she was not stopping going for his bum. The 3rd time they ate together for a minute and then she went for his bum again, I don't think she realized he was there that time.
They are both sweet with me he wants pats all the time and gives kisses, she wants pats and likes to chill in my lap and kissed me for the first time. Do I wait until she is spayed and healed and hormones fade and keep on with separated through the gate, keep trying. I think the longest bun date was 8 minutes which was the second date. The last 2 interactions there has not even been any sniffing or checking each other out she gets ready to nip at him. I am also wondering if I started to try to bond too soon and should allow more time. She seems comfortable and happy with her new surroundings and he is no longer hiding all the time, no more being lethargic, he is eating and making nice poopies again. Oh and now when it is time to eat he takes some to his litter box first and then starts eating next to her which is new behavior as previously they would jut eat next to each other. Thank you for your input :)

Hello All!
My sweet girl passed away leaving behind my fixed mixed breed boy. I have been through the bonding process before but need some advice this time around. My boy was severely depressed and due to the pandemic there was no bunny dating ability through the rescue. I adopted an 8 week old girl too young to spay and will be dong so. she is a Flemish mix. Anyway, my boy is a very submissive bun. However this little one is definitely not! I have had her a little over 2 weeks now and his health and happiness is back! Just having another bun in proximity has done him a world of good! (I was So worried about his health) I have them separated of course own houses and own areas to roam. They show a lot of interest in each other and do not see any aggression. And they zoomie and bink to show off to each other. However... The 3 times I have introduced them she starts chasing and nipping his butt, immediately. The first time he immediately put his head down after they had a sniffing session. She in turn started chasing and nipping his butt. The second time they ate next to each other but I russled the bag of parsley and she freaked and attacked him and he did a hey cut it out and I split them up as she was not stopping going for his bum. The 3rd time they ate together for a minute and then she went for his bum again, I don't think she realized he was there that time.
They are both sweet with me he wants pats all the time and gives kisses, she wants pats and likes to chill in my lap and kissed me for the first time. Do I wait until she is spayed and healed and hormones fade and keep on with separated through the gate, keep trying. I think the longest bun date was 8 minutes which was the second date. The last 2 interactions there has not even been any sniffing or checking each other out she gets ready to nip at him. I am also wondering if I started to try to bond too soon and should allow more time. She seems comfortable and happy with her new surroundings and he is no longer hiding all the time, no more being lethargic, he is eating and making nice poopies again. Oh and now when it is time to eat he takes some to his litter box first and then starts eating next to her which is new behavior as previously they would jut eat next to each other. Thank you for your input :)

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I would definitely spay her before introducing them both together, because it can prevent any unnecessary territorial behaviours... If you want them to get used to each other without them meeting directly you could try switching litter-boxes or toys so they 'remember' each other and get used to the others smell, so after the female has been spayed (and after a month has passed) they are able to recognise the smell, which could help the bonding process, Hope this helps, if you need any more information I'm here to help! <3 :)

Hi, I think you're doing good just don't separate them immediately after fight as she can understand that she won it, it is advised separating them on some positive note like sharing food or getting pets together. I would take them on me if they had a fight/nipping or something and we have at least 5-10 mins conversation with they are getting pets together and feeling happy and relaxed being here with me side by side. It brings positive experience and they will forget conflicts but will think about how good it was getting pets together, so I'd only separate after something good.

Good luck with your bonding please keep us posted I am so very glad your boy likes her and hopefully you can bond them soon.

I don't know honestly but she will be much larger than he since she's still very young, maybe I would leave them to live very close but would spay her and wait for 6 weeks after that before starting official bonding. You will watch them and will see what your situation is and decide what is best

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I would definitely spay her before introducing them both together, because it can prevent any unnecessary territorial behaviours... If you want them to get used to each other without them meeting directly you could try switching litter-boxes or toys so they 'remember' each other and get used to the others smell, so after the female has been spayed (and after a month has passed) they are able to recognise the smell, which could help the bonding process, Hope this helps, if you need any more information I'm here to help! <3 :)
Thank you. Yes still adjusting to life without her miss her incredibly.
I haven't done the litter box switch a roo only switching out the fleece on their ledge and stuffed animals.
I was thinking that due to not being spayed yet could be part of the issue I am dealing with, it is oh I like you now I don't with her. There is a lot of interest with positive body language but when together it is another story with her.
When I went to let them out for play time today they were both laying on their separate ledge next to each other fully relaxed position and was nice to see.
I can tell this is going to be a long bond. I may start the litter box switch next week.

Thank you, yes I was leaning toward waiting till she was spayed healed and hormones run their course. Last time she immediately went at his tush, yes I got nervous and ended things. Her mom was medium size like my boy. She is always looking for him and likes to show off when she has his attention with sideways zoomie binks. It is like she cant make up her mind.

Latest posts

Back