Bonding advice please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h.sullivian

Reaction score
Our rescue bunny, Cookie, (male, neutered) has now got a female companion, Willow (Not yet spayed). I’m a new bunny mummy and was quite upset at the first introduction as there was a lot of scrabbling and thumping. They are both in pens now close enough to see each other but I’m wanting advice on how to successfully bond. Will it only work when Willow is spayed?
Thank you

Hormonal females aren't going to bond with another rabbit. You'll need to wait until she's spayed. There still aren't any guarantees however that they will indeed form a bond.

Here's a link on bonding and how to go about it.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
Ideally, your male rabbit should choose his potential bondmate. This can be done by going through a rabbit rescue (not generic shelter). They allow your guy to meet other potential rabbits (already fixed) to pre-screen for potential compatibility. Then you begin bonding them at home. If it doesn't work, then the rescue will typically allow an exchange. It's the best way to ensure an actual bond (it is also cheaper since you don't bear the cost of spay surgery).

Thank you
Yes, willow is quite dominant and raced around chinning Cookies toys etc. We are hoping to get her spayed soon (covid allowing) so will try an introduction then.

So we let Willow and Cookie out together and they played really nicely. Still waiting for appointment from vet for Willow’s spay. ☹️ I’m no w concerned that the spay will put bonding back a few weeks due to her healing. Any advice?

Spaying will put her bonding back more than just a few weeks! You can look forward to sure two months post-op before trying ANYTHING in bonding them.
I couldn't stop my parents from hurrying when introducing our boys post-op and the result is a permanently damaged ear for one of them. Multiple bite marks and a big bunch of crusts have already healed.
Once the two months post-op have passed, things should go way more smoothly.
My boys found a peaceful way just about 3 long meeting sessions later, and they're chummy enough to be left together at nigjt and all day long when we're around.

But you HAVE to wait two months after her surgery to ensure that there will be no setbacks or permanent damage sustained.
Be a smart person, learn from others' mistakes before you go repeating them ;)

Thanks
I obviously don’t want Willow to be injured post op but didn’t realise how long it would take for her to be safe. I don’t want to rush things so I’ll just take it slow.

Latest posts

Back