Bonding a younger male to an older male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damicax

Reaction score
Smokey is a 4 year old Netherland dwarf and is absolutely lovely he loves cuddles and is so friendly, yesterday I got a new bunny a black and Caramel Netherland dwarf, I let him settle in, overnight, and they had a 10 min play date this morning and smokey would just hump him, I know it's for dominance, but it is irritating as my new one might get hurt, how can I stop this??

Are they both neutered?
Generally its safest to quarantine new acquisitions as well, but you've all ready let them interact so that's done.
Please give this new rabbit more time to settle into their new home before you decide to do anything.

I introduced them as the younger one was not showing any nervous behaviour, and was interested in what I was doing which was cleaning around the cage, and then started doing the happy dance (what I call binkying) eating and drinking fine, so should I separate them?

I would separate them.
Are they both neutered?
I wouldn't even attempt to put them together until they both are, then they should only be near each other under direct supervision, where you're close enough to jump in and break up a fight in a split second.
Bonding 2 male rabbits can be quite difficult in comparison to a neutered/spayed male/female pair.

My older rabbit is yes.
To double check the sex of the rabbit, my nan who has had lots of experience with them, checked the younger rabbit and sexed it as a girl.

There is no fighting between them, my older rabbit has no front incisors, so he can't bite things and hopefully won't hurt her.
I have a lot of time on my hands and they are always supervised.

It doesn't matter, you should still separate them until both are altered. They can seriously injure one another before you can even run across the room and completely without warning.

Humping is normal rabbit bonding behavior, and that's something you should read about before you try.

How old is the girl then? She should be spayed to be able to bond with the male. Otherwise, those hormones could cause her to suddenly turn on him. Intact females typically aren't too receptive to bonding.

Latest posts

Back